11; Stop It

━━⛥⌒*゚

Sam laid the succulent on the floor with his cellphone, and moved to charge. The door swung open and Bucky stood there; hair brushed out and slightly wet from the shower. He smelled amazing, like he was using old spice and essential oils. Was that, eucalyptus and mint? The smell of coconut in his hair was overwhelming. They stared at eachother for a long time and Bucky was the first to speak.

" I didn't kiss you because I was drunk," Bucky admitted quietly, looking away quickly and taking in a heavy breath. "I kissed you because..."

Sam moved closer to him, oh so slowly, and cupped his cheeks. A small smile turned into a big grin, dimples poking out on either side of his cheeks. Bucky almost died right there, his eyes wide and staring at him.

" Bucky," Sam whispered.

His tone was warm and like music to his ears. Bucky had to shut his eyes because Sam reminded him of someone he once knew, someone warm and funny and bright.

As sam's hand pushed damp hair out of his face and his eyes looked deep into his soul, all Bucky could do was shiver. Carefully he moved closer and lightly connected their lips, Sam was surprised at first, he hadn't expected that to happen. Just like the first time. Bucky was soft and careful as he kissed his friend, one big hand moved up to touch his side while the metal one hung awkwardly at his side.

That part of him didn't get to touch Sam. The beautiful man in front of him was to golden to have to suffer the feeling of cold metal on his skin. The vibrant, warm light emitting from Sam's every inch, didn't deserve to be drained and dragged down by the disgusting part of him he couldn't bare to look at anymore.

" I got you something," Sam whispered against his soft lips, the light tingle of Burt's bees lighting up his mouth.

Bucky's eyes narrowed down at him and he studied Sam's expression. Unsure. Calculated. What was next? His chest tightened, preparing for the surprise. Slowly a hand reached over to though vibranium, stroking the textured arm lightly as he placed the little plant on a comically large metal hand. Sam suppressed a light laugh but it came out of his nose, the amused whistle causing Bucky to give him a smile.

" What's that for?'

" We kinda thought you were going dark," Sam explained quietly. He felt a little silly now, at the idea that Bucky would leave them. " So Peter thought a plant might make you stay, I don't know why. Stupid kid-"

" I know what this is about," Bucky rolled his eyes as he set the succulent down on the table. He shook his head. " Peter has a plant theory; people who like succulents are probably gay, and if I can take care of a plant I can take of a.."

" A?"

" A relationship," he said it so hushed, like he didn't want to speak at all. His heart suddenly ached.

A relationship.

Was that what him and Sam were slowly inching towards? He didn't really know if he was the relationship type. Maybe, once. He dated while the war was going on, but, it was hard not to fall in love when everyday you thought maybe you'd die.

" Hey," Sam cooed calmly as he went to him, touching his hand lightly. "This doesn't have to be anything you don't want it to be, okay?"

" What?" Bucky whispered, studying his face carefully. He swallowed hard and sighed. " No I just.."

" Just what?"

" I just don't want to be a disappointment, or a disaster or your.." His voice was coated in exhaustion as he sat down on his seat.

Bucky wasn't sure he wanted, or wants, Steve at all. He was bad when it came to the thin line between friendship and love. To be truthful, Steve made him feel like maybe he was still dead but..

But Sam? He felt alive. Every 'hateful' thought, everytime his skin burned with a deep and untameable blush, the way his heart started beating dramatically, how his fingers brushed alone his skin. Heavy banter, soft laughs, even softer kisses. It all made him feel chained down to this time, this place, these people. It made him want to stay even though every instinct was screaming for him to retreat.

" Why don't we stop with the D-words?" Sam said calmly as he rubbed his back, his eyes fixed on Bucky like he was making sure all this closeness was okay.

" D-words?" Bucky's brows furrowed and his lips sprang into a wide smile, trying so hard not to laugh at his friend.

" Oh you know," Sam whispered as he moved closer to wrap his arms around his big body and mumbled. "Like the big D's, death, divorce, disaster, doomsday.."

Sam almost choked on his own breath when he felt two hands touch the arms holding him, and a large belly laugh left the strong soldier in front of him. He was so beautiful Sam could feel his palms sweating and he hoped Bucky didn't draw attention to it. His cheek laid lightly against his muscled back and he could hear the light beats of his heart if he held his breath.

" What do you suggest then?" Bucky asked between loud, warm laughs. He bit his lip to quiet himself down a little.

" Why do I always have to be the one to make suggestions? You need to pull some weight too."

" I need to pull some weight?" Bucky asked carefully as he turned around, smiling at him warmly.

" Yeah! You figure something exciting to do and I'll follow your lead, white panther." Sam hummed out of amusement, his hands unwrapping around the big body, hesitating to let his hands longer on his hips.

" White Wolf." Bucky corrected.

" Lying ass, I don't believe a word you say. Next time it better come out of T'challas mouth himself. " Sam challenged him, arms crossing over his big chest.

Bucky looked him up and down and rolled eyes, taking his hands. He pulled his silver one back, only for Sam to grab it from him again.

" You think King T'challa would speak to you after what you said to him." The large man reminded as fingers traced along his skin and sent light shivers down his spine.

Sam laughed and shook his head. He touched damp hair in his hands and looked at Bucky softly. His eyes gazed so lovingly, he could swear the blue-eyed man was about to collapse. Bucky sighed as he crossed his arms suddenly, leaning against the walls and picking at the peeling paint.

" Alright fine, I have an idea."

" What?"

" You said I gotta pull my weight so I'm gonna pull it and you're gonna look like a fucking fool."

" Relationships aren't a competition, buck." Sam reminded slyly, that large grin smacking across his face.

" I'm going to beat you at your own game, darling. You're gonna look like a fool." Bucky muttered as he pulled him along. " I still hate you.."

" This isn't an enemies to lovers young adult novel," Sam hummed as he followed after his pulls, skipping a little.

" I'm going to make me you wish you were never born, doll face." Bucky hummed back excitedly.

They met eachothers eyes for a long moment, and Sam cocked his brow. He quickly realized Bucky probably didn't know, or at least remember, how to flirt after so long.

He didn't mind though.

☆⌒★⌒☆⌒★⌒☆⌒★⌒☆⌒★⌒☆⌒★⌒☆⌒★⌒☆