Good Tastes and Better Tastes

Start from the beginning

He smiled, "But it wasn't a complete waste though! Apparently the needed someone to also retrieve Fyodor from the restaurant basement he ended up tied up in. He's likely fuming to himself back in jail."

"Good riddance," Chuuya mumbled.

The conversation tapered off then, and a silence passed between them. Dazai, leaning against the wall and looking calmly through the window and Chuuya fiddling with a loose thread in the hospital sheets.

The executive swallowed.

I should...ask him.

He thought. Only to immediately shut that notion down. How exactly did one ask: "Hey, by the way, did I accidentally confess my hopeless infatuation with you that may or may have not existed for a very long time but I was just too proud to ever admit it seconds before I knocked out?"

How would Dazai even react to that? Would he laugh? Think it was some sort of joke? Hold it above Chuuya's head forever and explore a more...less child friendly version of teasing?

Or worst of all, would his face fall? With sadness or confusion...a small horrible quiet moment of silence before he let Chuuya down...?

Chuuya gritted his teeth, clenching the sheets between his fists.

I didn't mean to fall in love with you!

He looked up, only to see Dazai's profile as the breeze ruffled through his hair, eyes tracking a little red butterfly that had flittered briefly by the window.

Chuuya's fists unclenched, whole posture softening as he stared.

I really...really didn't mean...to fall in love with you...

"Oi, Chibi, I have an idea."

Chuuya jumped when Dazai finally turned his head in his direction, trying his best to make it look like he had been doing anything other than what he had been doing.

"What now?" Chuuya said, the angry bite in his voice melting away as he cautiously eyed the detective, who was approaching him with an increasingly alarming swiftness.

"I really do feel bad about leaving you all alone, you know."

Dazai smirked, leaning down. His eyes twinkled mischievously, a single finger pressing against his lip as if to signal a secret.

"How about I make it up to you," he all but whispered, "right now?"

Chuuya froze, battling a storm of heat bubbling his chest.

"What - what are you-?"

Dazai chuckled.

Then abruptly snapped his fingers.

The sound was so jarring that Chuuya nearly missed it when Dr. Yosano came through the door, looking only slightly irritated that Dazai had made her wait for his signal.

In one had she held her medical bag. In the other, a giant butcher's knife.

Chuuya startled, looked sharply between the grinning detective and the psychopathic physician. 

His gaze landed on Dazai.

"No."

"Whatever you think Mori can do for that," Yosano said matter-of-factly, gesturing at his leg, "Probably isn't going to work. The most any doctor can do right now is ensure that you keep the limb -- but it'd probably be fucked up for the rest of your life."

Dazai was nodding vigorously, "Yes, I'd trust Yosano-kun on this one, she knows her stuff."

"I'm not going to let that woman hack me to death!" Chuuya snapped.