The Infallible Plan

The following morning in Yokohama was awash with gorgeous sunlight. 

It bounced off of every plane of glass and metal pole -- colorful birds chirped among the swaying trees and stray cats sprawled out across the pavement to bathe in the warm rays. Laughing children took their parents' hands and pulled them along the streets. Store owners opened their shops with pleasant smiles.

All in all, it was the sort of deceptive weather that usually meant a thunderstorm was bound to happen later in the afternoon.

Like most, Ichiyō Higuchi didn't pay much attention to the future forecast. It was bright and sunny now, wasn't it? Might as well enjoy the good weather while it lasted. She had woken up in a good mood. It was a weekday, which meant she got to go into work and see Chuuya!

As a matter of fact, she had even arrived at the Port Chuafia early, humming a happy little melody to herself as she pushed open the doors to the main building's lobby.

It appeared that she wasn't the only one who had decided to show up sooner than scheduled. The decorations from the big fancy party were being taken down, the large table pushed to a side. In the place where it had been was a large pedestal. Koyo was directing a group of workers carving a chunk of copper perched ontop of it, her demonic avatar assisting in small cuts and slashes.

Still humming, Higuchi walked past it, smiling when she saw that the little plaque attached to the pedestal read: Boss Chuuya Nakahara.  They were making a statue of Nakahara-san in the lobby? Perfect! Why hadn't there been one before?

Higuchi briefly considered taking the elevator to her office, but then decided against it. What if Chuuya needed the elevator? She'd hate to be the reason why he had to climb the stairs!

Just before she exited the lobby however, she heard:

"I'm telling you Gramps, he totally kicked us out. I feel awful..."

Gathered by boxes of packed away decorations was the Black Lizard, voices hushed in conversation.

"Morning!" Higuchi said, heading for them, "May the Chu be with you, anything interesting and/or preferably Chuuya-related happening?"

Once upon a time, she had been at odds with the members of the tactical unit known as the Black Lizard. But after they helped her save someone she cared about, they were all on good terms now.

Someone she cared about? Huh. Strange...how come she couldn't remember who that had been?

Chuuya, probably.

"Hey Higuchi," Tachihara said with a small bob of his head, "we were just telling Hirotsu about how Chuuya got really mad about the whole Dazai thing."

Hirotsu stroked his beard thoughtfully, "From the sound of it, he must have been really distressed."

"Ugh, that Dazai," Higuchi hissed, "We ought to never mention his name in here ever again."

"Agreed," two thirds of the Black Lizard chorused, Gin taking to nodding instead.

"Still," Tachihara said, "Is it just me, or was that outburst especially hostile? For a second there, I was scared he was going to crush the whole building."

If Chuuya were to crush the whole building then that would be his will and I would be fine with it Gin wrote pointedly.

"Me too! That's not what I meant!"