25 - Hello Ghost?!

Start from the beginning

Ms. Go nods and looks over at me, "Jungwon?"

"Java chip Frappuccino," I say.

Ms. Go gives me a thumbs up and leaves to the hospital's café with Yuni.

When I saw halmeoni first walk in and to see Ms. Go's and Sunni's reactions, I was shocked. Not only that she is, in fact, Sunni's grandma but also the fact she never said anything when she would see us on the bus.

To know that they thought she was dead is by far the most shocking factor...

"You probably have a ton of questions," Halmeoni says. 

"Ye..." I quietly say. "How come you never said anything to Sunni on the bus?"

"My sweet baby girl was always sleeping," she says with a sigh. "Plus, I wanted to be invisible in their lives."

"Why?" I question.

"My Daeunnie never wanted to leave my side after my husband passed away. She dropped out of high school just to support me, so I thought... the only way she could move on with her life is if I wasn't present anymore," Halmeoni explains looking up at the ceiling.

"Oh how I ached every moment of not being with my daughter and my grandchild, so I just watched from a distance... seeing my daughter struggle just to put food on the table wasn't the ideal life I thought she'd have," Halmeoni continues.

I stare at her as her eyes start to water. 

I wonder if bumping into her on the bus was just a mere coincidence. 

She pats my leg as she lets out a chuckle, "Meeting you on the bus was coincidence." It's like she read my mind.

"I almost peed my pants when I saw my sweet girl," She laughs. 

"I never would have thought," I say with an airy laugh. 

"I don't know you son, but from the first day I met you, you looked quite skeptical of life... and from our recent encounter, I notice a spark in your eyes..."

I look at her with my eyebrows raised.

She looks at me with a smile, "I might've never been physically there for my baby girl, but I know how bright her light is, and you my dear, are looking straight at it.." she softly turns my head towards the double doors to the ICU where Sunni is walking out.

She slowly walks over at us, her eyes puffy, her nose red... 

"I think I need to have a talk with my granddaughter, but I'm glad you took my advice."

- Sunni PoV -

As I'm walking back from the ICU, I see Jungwon and halmeoni sitting together.

I start to mentally prepare myself for the conversation that I'm going to have with her. I'm just overall confused and quite scared to be in her presence. 

For sure mom is going to think she's dead the second she opens her eyes. She might lose it. If I was mom, I wouldn't know how to control my emotions.

Jungwon gets up a does a quick jog up to me.

"Hey, is everything alright?" He asks me softly with his eyes wandering around my face.

I sniffle, "Mm, they're preparing her for surgery. Apparently she was in a car accident..."

"You want something from the café? Ms. Go went to-"

"I'm good," I cut him off. "I need to talk with my grandma..." my voice fades as I look over at her.