12 : Team 12, Service Done!

"Thank for your service!"

The old shop keeper was on his knees, bowing before the young team and their teacher.

Sekiro and Takeru were roaring with proud laughter, as usual. It's only been a few weeks since they've first met, yet the two quickly acted like father and son. Mikoto on the other hand was... asleep. As usual. The sun was beginning to set, so Hisako knew it wouldn't be long until he awoke. She gives the shopkeeper a dainty bow, thanking him for the decent pay from today's work.

"Team 12, service done!"

Takeru nodded, standing straight and giving his team a poised salute. Sekiro put his hands up, loudly high-fiving the student before Hisako raised her hands as well, Takeru giving her the same excited gesture. When he had gotten to Mikoto, still asleep on his bench, his gently... slapped him? It seems that was enough to compensate for a high-five, though it quickly awoke the boy.

"Takeru!" Mikoto groggily scolded. "What gives?!"

"He's awake now, Sensei!" Takeru said, giggling in a proud manner as he stuck his tongue out at Mikoto.

"Wonderful, wonderful!" The man said, sitting down on the bench in front of Mikoto's. The drowsy boy groggily sat up, allowing Hisako to sit beside him. She moved a bit to the side, leaving space for Takeru to slide into place beside her. With the three students seated down in front of their teacher, he could begin his announcement.

"My dear students!" He spoke. "You have grown well since we first met. I am proud to see my teachings allow you to thrive in the world of ninjas! Thus, I believe it is time for some changes..."

Hisako tilted her head. "Changes?"

"Yes!" Sekiro replied loudly. "I believe you three will now be capable of ranking up to Chunin!

The three blinked.

"....Ha?"

"Chunin." Sekiro nodded with crossed arms. "A higher ninja rank which I strongly believe you three will be able to achieve!"

The trio took a while to process what was happening. Takeru and Mikoto exchanged glances, while Hisako sat in silence.

"HA!"

Takeru was the first to react, a spunky smile across his face as he picked Mikoto up and shook him. "Chunin?! We're actually going to be Chunin?!"

"Not yet, idiot!" Mikoto groaned, trying to pry his teammate's hands off of him. Considering Mikoto's lazy body and Takeru's strength, it didn't quite work. "It's an exam, remember?! We have to complete it first--!"

"Y-you really think we're ready?!"

Hisako asked, her lips in a slight tremble. She was more nervous than she was excited, yet she smiled just a bit. Could she do it? Could she not do it? It wouldn't be easy, would it? Thoughts passed and circled around her head before exploded into a squel.

"C-chunin exams..." She mumnled.

"Yeah, Chunin exams!" Takeru finally dropped Mikoto back on the bench. The young boy gave Sekiro yet another wide hug.

The teacher hugged back, his smile going from proud to genuine. Though she couldn't see it, Hisako knew how genuinely happy Takeru must have been. The boy pounced back up, giving his team a wide grin, then wincing from some of his bruises before crossing his arms.

"Can I head home early today??? My dad would LOVE to hear this!" The young boy bounced up and down, earning a gentle chuckle from his teacher.

"Oh, Mikoto and I should head home too! His mom is cooking us some takoyaki!" Hisako's hand navigated the bench, locating where her friend was before giving him a gentle smack across the face.