Chapter 3

Chapter 3: A gift

It was the day before Kanao's birthday. Everyone had gathered at the butterfly estate to set up a surprise party. But since Kanao had become emotionless, she was always out on a mission regardless if its just patrolling an area or slaying a demon. They anticipated for her to return by tomorrow morning since she always work till the morning. They know she miss Tanjiro so much. Losing her one and only other family member meant she had only him. They tried to cheer her up but it was no use. She's back to being her old self. A pretty shell on the facade but empty on the inside. But one thing do stick, and that is she can decide on her own. Thanks to Tanjiro teaching her to follow her heart.

As times goes by, two hunters are on a mission to scout for a demon in a forest far up north. A black haired man named Murata and a fellow corp member.

Corp member: "Man, why do we always has these kinds of jobs."

Murata: "You need to shut up. Focus on the mission."

Corp member: "Yeah right. Its not like a demon would strike here in the middle of nowhere."

Murata: "You're probably right. But who knows. Maybe they would."

"..."

Murata: "Maybe we should head back. What do you say? Hey. Do you- where did you go!?"

Just as they were only five minutes into the job, Murata had already lost his comrade. He unsheathed his sword and are on high alert. He heard a crunching sound afterward. Sound of bones being crushed. He look for the source and found a demon eating off his dead comrade.

Murata: "No way. You bastard!"

Demon: "Oh? Another one for me? How lucky i must be."

Murata: "You will pay for this!"

Demon: "Don't be shy. Come here."

Murata: "What the?! My body. I can't control it!" He thought

Demon: "Come and you'll be next."

Just as Murata was about to be slashed by the demon, a shadow appears before him and freed him from the demon's influences. He was surprised by the sight of a familiar green and black checker pattern haori. It can't be, even in the dark he can clearly see it. The face of a man who saved humanity not long ago.

Murata: "Tanjiro?"

Demon: "Who are you? Don't you know its rude to steal others property?"

Tanjiro: "Oh i'm sorry. But humans, are off the menu."

In an instant, the demon head was on the floor disintegrating along with the body. Murata is still in awe looking at the person they thought they had lost standing right in front of him. He was speechless and shocked to see him. Tanjiro looked back at his comrade who are still sitting on the ground with a wide eye.

Tanjiro: "Are you okay?"

Murata: "Tanjiro. Its really you right? Where have you've gone the past year?"

Tanjiro: "I, can't explain it to you."

Murata: "Why?"

At that moment, Murata noticed the pupils in his eyes are slitted. That was usually a sign of a demon.

Murata: "No, are you, a demon?"

Tanjiro: "Listen. Nobody must know that i'm still alive."