*13. Deserve To Be Chased

❝ deserve to be chased ❞━ FARRAH ━

deserve to be chased
FARRAH

The Chicago streets are illuminated by streetlights and looming skyscrapers. The illusion of a woman dances on the side of one as music blasts from it. It reminds me of Christmas Eve's Grandmarket in Jamaica where they go all out for a one night only event.

A wave of nostalgia washes over me and I can't help but sniffle — both from the cold and from the tears I try to hold back. My feet carry me wherever they may and I have no qualms as I pass by honking cars in neverending traffic and people making out on the side of the road.

Turning a sharp corner into the parking garage, I feel as my chest heaves in anticipation. When I walked out of the club, I was expecting retaliation or for him to follow behind me, but I had my hopes up too high, apparently.

I hate to admit it. We haven't even known each other long or even kissed but he hurt me. He made me believe I was worth being with — he even said it himself — and for him to rescind that in the blink of an eye... it hurts.

With my car key in hand and my feet quickly approaching my vehicle, I exhale heavily and go to open it, only for the sound of shoes hitting the concrete to snap me from my actions.

I pivot and face the man whose expensive scent invades my senses. His brows are furrowed as he watches me and I have to muster the energy to keep my head held high.

He tilts his head as his eyes scan my body. "Wanted to make sure you got to your car safely."

Of course. I nod and purse my lips, "Well, you did that so have a good night." Pulling my door open, I pause. I should walk away and make him feel how I feel, but all I can hear in my head is Faith telling me that, "I deserve to be chased."

"Excuse me?"

I stay rooted in my spot but close the car door. "I deserve to be chased and I am sick and tired of thinking about you and us when it's clear you don't feel the same way. You don't deserve me."

He scoffs, his brows furrowing as he steps closer to me, his red bottoms clacking against the ground. "Farrah, if I get you the way I want you, I'd be more devoted to you than I am to my work and I can't afford that. You're a distraction."

"What? Is that why you ghosted me? Because of work?" I'm in disbelief. "Because I'm a distraction? Or because you don't know how to handle your business with someone beside you?"

"You don't want to be beside me, Farrah, you want to be under me."

Why does he say it as if he wasn't the one pursuing a sexual relationship in the first place? "And you don't want that either?"