Everyone could sense Ellis' alpha energy booming at that, turning the atmosphere in the room tensed and uncomfortable. He took a deep breath. "I know you're bitter, but don't insult us."

"I prefer 'realistic'."

"She wouldn't leave without rejecting you," Sky said to Austin. "She's many things, but she's not cruel."

"I agree," Julie said. "I don't know her that well, but someone who would jump in a river with a feral wolf for you, wouldn't let you suffer for the rest of your life."

"Except if your intensity has scared her off," Conall said. "We all know how overbearing you get when you want something."

"Alright, that's quite enough," Sky said, placing a hand on Conall's shoulder and pushing him towards the exit. "Get well soon, Austin."

"You can't stop me from looking for her," Austin said, when the door fell shut again. He was still standing beside his bed, though it was taking more and more effort every minute.

Ellis' brow shot up. "Careful now, Austin."

"Or what? You're going to pull the alpha card on me? I don't care."

"Don't cross a line you can't cross back."

Julie put a hand on Ellis' arm, drawing his attention towards her.

"It's been a very testing night for all of us," she said, looking at Austin and Ellis alternately. "Perhaps we should try not to take each other so seriously. Come on, Austin, let's get you back to bed." She released Ellis and moved closer to Austin.

"I don't want to go back to bed," he said, but he let Julie coax him back under the covers all the same. "Maybe I can pick up her scent or something. You know I'm your best tracker. And she's my mate, so I might notice something other people wouldn't."

"That's true," Ellis said, "and if you were in good health, I'd let you go, but you're not. You took a hit yesterday and you need to heal."

"What if she needs me?"

Ellis' features softened. "There's only so much you can do for her out there. If she comes back and you're not here, that would be a bigger problem. I'll send more people out to look for her. Perhaps we'll have better luck now that it's light."

"It won't matter much," Julie said. "Sky and Conall looked everywhere. They followed the river for miles and there was no sign of her. What if she's washed up on Golden Dawn's side of the river and went into the woods?"

"But she knows that territory," Ellis said. "If she's there, she might be able to find her way back here."

"But what if they got her?" Austin asked. "You know they're looking for her."

"She's smart. She'll know how to avoid them."

"Not if she's injured," Julie said. "What if she's unconscious? What if she can't fight back?"

"What are you saying, Julie?" Ellis asked, distrust seeping into his icy gaze.

Julie drew in a breath, straightening her back. "Let me go look for her in Golden Dawn territory. I'll be careful."

Ellis stared at her. Of all people, Julie was the last person he expected to make such a ridiculous request. "You know I can't clear anyone to go into Golden Dawn territory. If they find anyone on their side, they won't hesitate to kill them. I can't take that risk."

"So what?" Julie said. "We're just going to let her die?"

"Watch your tone. You're not going to Golden Dawn and that's final."

"He's right, Jules," Austin said. "You shouldn't risk your life for her." He glanced at Ellis. "But I will. I have to go."

"I don't know if I have been in any way unclear," Ellis said, "but I said no, and that goes for you too, Austin. No one is going to Golden Dawn. We don't need another war."

"You can't push me to care for her for three weeks and then tell me to let her die when I do."

Ellis sighed. "Of course I'm not telling you to let her die, but I need to think of my pack first. I'm going to keep sending people along the river, and the moment she resurfaces, they will help her. But they can't go into their territory, and neither can you."

"I can't sit here and do nothing," Austin said. "She's hurt because of me. Because I was stupid enough to..." His voice faltered and he took a deep breath. "I don't know how she even got there in time."

"She sensed your distress," Julie said. "At dinner. Two seconds and she was out the door. Didn't hesitate even a second."

Austin's brows peaked out from under his hair as he frowned. "I don't understand her."

"None of us do," Julie said.

"I do," Ridge said, emerging from his office. "Not that anyone asked. In any case, the beta needs rest. I'm going to have to ask the both of you to leave. Well, actually, I'm going to ask the alpha to leave. I'd like a word with you, Julie."

"Should I be worried?" she asked, moving towards him.

"No," Ridge said, but she didn't believe him. "Just something that I need to discuss with you. Will only take a minute. Let's go into my office. Austin, try to get some rest. I will wake you the moment there's anything news-worthy to report." He turned without another word and disappeared back into his office. Julie hurried after him and closed the door behind her.

"What's going on?"

Ridge fidgeted with his coat. He paced through the room, then stopped abruptly and spun around to face her. "Has Austin told you I served as Ryleigh's witness? You know, to confirm that she's from Golden Dawn, and that we've met there?"

Julie nodded.

"Right. The thing is, it's not true."

____

A/N: Another one of Ryleigh's lies uncovered. The plot thickens. 

Thanks for reading!