"She's very observant, have you noticed that?" she said.

"Ryleigh? I guess so. But she's wrong about this."

Julie nodded, the paper in her hold crumbling around the edges. Austin hoped it wasn't anything important. "Is she?"

"What?" He breathed the word.

"When I was away the past two weeks... I don't think we've ever been apart that long since we started our relationship. It gave me time to think." She fell silent and focused on a point in the distance. "We make so much sense, you and I. Neither of us are the type to open ourselves up to strangers, and we'd already been friends for years. It was a natural development. We both needed someone in our lives and we were right there. And we never got a chance to question ourselves because we were never apart. Until now."

"Fine, so it might have been convenient, but that doesn't mean it wasn't right."

"I know," she said. "It felt right."

"It feels right."

Her eyes moved over the table. "Since Ryleigh has come into your life, I've been thinking about the decisions we've made over the years, and I cannot help but think that..." She drew her bottom lip between her lips. "It was right," she said, after a silence so severe Austin feared he'd lost his hearing. "For what it was, it was right. We were good lovers. It was only when we tried to be more that things started to go awry."

"We never had any problems until Ryleigh showed up."

"We couldn't afford to. Everyone was already against us."

He shook his head. "You can say what you want, but we've been good for each other. We've had each other's backs, we've had fun, we've had everything we needed."

"Except fate. I see how you look at her, Aus."

"I barely even like her! I can't help what the mate bond makes me feel, but I promise you I'm not in love with her."

"I believe you," she said, nodding. "But why did you go to the school today? Why do you keep spending this much time with her? Why do you continuously check up on her?"

"I'm still responsible for her. You know that."

"Seth and Nate aren't going to let her get away."

He opened his mouth, then closed it again. Whatever he said only made it worse, despite his best efforts. If it continued much longer, there'd be nothing left to salvage. "She's ditched them once before," he said. "She can do it again."

"Maybe. But why do you feel so guilty?"

"What?"

"About the kiss. If it was really just the mate bond, what does it matter? I understand. I've had a fated mate. I know what that attraction is like. It was to be expected. Quite frankly, I'm surprised it took this long. But yet here you are, full of remorse."

"Because it still shouldn't have happened."

"But you said yourself it was an effect of the mate bond. You can't fight fate. You have to lose at some point. That hardly needs apologising. So what are you sorry for? Not that it happened, clearly." She paused, took a deep breath. "Maybe you're sorry because it did mean something."

"No," he said. "No, Julie, I swear –"

"Stop." She got up and retrieved another chair from a different table. She put it down beside Austin. "Sit down."

"Why –"

"Just sit down."

He sighed and sat. "What?"

"You need to be honest. Not with me, but with yourself."

"I am being honest. Goddess, I'm doing my best here, Julie."

"I know. Just listen. How hard did you argue when I said I was leaving for two weeks?"

"Well, I –"

"No, that was a rhetorical question. You didn't. Or hardly, in any case. And then you ran out to save your mate. Yes, I know. You were linked. You had to. I'm not judging. I was gone two weeks, and when I came back, you were sitting with her in the hall. Looked pretty cosy. Yes, I know. She was just tired and you were looking out for her. Ridge has told me about the time you spent in the infirmary while she was sick. I know – your proximity helped her. But you wanted to be near her, too. And when I had to cancel our plans because Ellis sent me to town? You were disappointed, sure, but you didn't mind that much. Nor when our new plans got cancelled when Ellis sent you on patrol. We shrugged it off."

He opened his mouth to argue, but slammed it shut again. He didn't know Julie like this. He didn't know how to placate her. He didn't know if there was anything that could.

"I'm not saying you're in love with her," Julie said. "I'm not saying she's what's come between us. I do think, however, that her arrival has laid bare some of our deficiencies. And they're the kind of deficiencies that everyone could see – everyone but us."

"You're letting them get to you." He wanted to get up from that damn chair; wanted to wrap his arms around her; wanted to tell her everyone was wrong, most of all Ryleigh; wanted to say everything would be alright. He didn't.

"What if they're right? If we're really together because it's easy, then how will we survive if it does get hard? If we're to mate, it will get hard. Every relationship does. All of that is to say..." She drew in a deep breath. "If we were to mate, I think we would regret it." 

______

A/N: And so they end. But maybe they never really had a chance to begin with. Did you think Julie would be the one to end it? 

Thank you for reading!