Chapter 9: Is That Allowed?

22:30

The enchanted instruments struck up a waltz and the siblings began to move about the dance floor. 
"Got anything to tell me, Reggie? I've not seen you for years. How's school? Have you made friends?" She gasped, eyes twinkling. "Have you found someone?" She wiggled her eyebrows at Regulus, who blushed.
"I'm not with anyone but..."
"But?" 
"I do have a crush on someone." Ascella jumped, attempting to conceal it as part of the dance. She failed, stepping on Regulus' toe, making him wince in pain. They almost toppled over into the buffet table but managed to save themselves.. 
"Who?" Regulus drew a sharp breath in, as though he couldn't decide whether he wanted to tell her or not. 
"It's," he faltered, "It's James Potter."

The look on Ascella's face twisted from excited to confused. She opened her mouth as if to say something, then snapped it shut again. When she spoke, all she could muster was,
"James? He's a boy?"
"Yes," Regulus laughed, sadly, "I'm aware."
"Is- is that allowed? Are you allowed to like another boy? Mother and Father always told me boys like girls and girls like boys!" 
"Of course it's allowed!"
"Regulus, are you a queer?"
"What? Yes, obviously!"

Regulus sighed. He should have known this was coming. The Black family were notoriously traditional, if by traditional you mean homophobic, racist, ableist and misogynistic then yes the Blacks were traditional. It came as no shock to Regulus that his parents had taught Ascella these principles. He had just hoped that she wouldn't take them on. He supposed he had been wrong, but when he looked back at Ascella, her face was not disgusted but intrigued.
"That's so exciting!"
"What?"
"Oh, I never knew this, it's so amazing! Does that mean girls like girls as well?"
"Some do, but a lot of girls are straight."
"Straight? What does that mean?"
"That's what Mother and Father raised you to be. Straight people are girls who like boys and boy who like girls."
"Oh, what if you like both?"
"Bisexual. That's what I am."
"But what if you don't care about the gender?"
"Pansexual. Why?"

The dance drew to a close and Ascella did not answer the question. She simply walked over to the side of the ballroom with Regulus.