Chapter 3: A Shocking Supper

Cottage pie was not Ascella's favourite food. In fact, she couldn't stand the stuff. But her brothers were growing boys and her father needed the energy so she had to suffer through it. She didn't understand why her father needed energy to sit locked up in his office, fill out papers and swear loudly. Nor did she understand why she didn't count as growing and her brothers did. After all, she was almost as tall as Sirius and her smart frock ended too high up to be suitable. 

It just so happened to be a cottage pie day that life-changing day. This life-changing event would be the first of many. Ascella was just pushing the last few peas around her plate when she decided to bring up the letter. 
"Mother," she said, in her sweetest voice, "Sirius' letter arrived today. His Hogwarts letter."

Walburga's thin lips curved slightly down at the corners, though it was obvious that the rest of her face was trying to feign indifference on the subject.
"I am aware, Ascella." 
When she spoke, her voice was cold and toneless, not letting any emotion show in her speech. 

"Yes, but I didn't get a letter." Ascella was getting annoyed now, though she tried to maintain her composure. Anger would get her nowhere, at least not with her mother. 
"Oh you did." Walburga snapped. "We burned it."

Rage filled Ascella's head, muddling up her thoughts, and she could no longer contain it. 
"You- why would you do that?" she yelled. 
"Because," her father drawled, in his boring yet booming voice, "As a woman, your place is not at school but at home. You need not learn magic when you can learn how to be a good wife." 

Ascella stood up, shoving her chair aside and storming across the room to the opposite end of the table, where her parents sat. Staring at their blank and indifferent faces, she shouted,
"You can't do this to me! You have no right!"

Walburga's mouth twisted into a thin lipped smile.
"On the contrary," she scoffed, "We are your parents so we have every right."
"No you don't! I'll go to Dumbledore, to the Ministry. I'll go to the Minister of Magic, I'll-"

"Enough!" Orion bellowed. He had risen out of his chair and now towered over Ascella. "Silence from you!"
"No I won't be sil-" 

Ascella didn't get to finish her sentence, for her father had brought his hand to her face, slapping her so hard that her cheek went red.
"Leave!" Orion growled. She didn't argue and ran to her room, clutching her red face.