01 | votre nom

"GOOD AFTERNOON PASSENGERS, this is the pre-boarding announcement for flight XJ760 to New York

"GOOD AFTERNOON PASSENGERS, this is the pre-boarding announcement for flight XJ760 to New York. We are now inviting those passengers with small children and any passengers requiring special assistance to begin boarding at this time. Please have your boarding pass and identification ready. Regular boarding will begin in approximately ten minutes. Thank you!"

The young man stood outside the Don Mueang International Airport, inhaling the air of his new home. He didn't have the slightest idea why his family migrated to New York and never came back generation after generation. He is the first one to step foot back in their hometown, Bangkok.

As the black car stopped in front, he immediately got into the backseat before closing his eyes. He wanted to go home and take a nap, but the Principal instructed him to see him at the office as soon as he reached Thailand. The flight that the University booked for him got cancelled due to personal reasons, letting the other exchange students take off without him.

"The house," he said in a whispering tone, adjusting his position where he's comfortable. "Is it far from the University? I forgot to ask my parents about the place before flying here. I only saw the oldest version of the house. Of course, the house would be different from what I saw in pictures."

"It's not that far—a twenty-minute drive from the University, Sir."

"I can use this car, right?"

"Yes, Sir. Your father bought this car last month for your personal use. If I'm not mistaken, he bought this when he found out that you're going home. He doesn't know if you're going back to New York, so he contacted us to clean the house prior to your arrival, too."

"How long have your family been working with mine?"

"You can ask my great great grandfather about that, Sir. I'm not really into family history, but ever since I was born, I knew that my family over the generations is living under a roof given by yours. A gift as a sign of loyalty, I think? I'm not sure."

"You're funny a guy," the young man commented, slightly smiling. "How can I ask your great great grandfather when I couldn't ask mine either?"

"If given a chance to ask something to your great great grandfather, what would it be?"

The young man bit his lower lip, opening his eyes to see their whereabouts, though he's not familiar with the place. "I just want to know why the family migrated to New York and never come back to Bangkok. It's like they were running away from someone, hiding something, but that was a long time ago. My great grandfather never let anyone talk about the past—I don't understand the reason why."

"You like family history, Sir, I see."

Laughing so hard upon hearing the reply from the driver, the young man nodded his head in agreement. "I guess, but they don't want me to dig their shit out the hole. Anyway, please call me by my name, Yong. Just call me Arthit from now on."