Prologue

Flashback

Autumn's point of view

I ran to my older brother, scared. "Ash! Ash! What's going on?" I yelled and ran into his arms. He hugged me back and I buried my face in his chest.

"I don't know Autumn," he whispered. "But don't be scared. I'm here. I won't leave you. I'll protect you. I need you and you need me."

"Please don't let them take me Ash," I cried into his Superman t-shirt. "I don't want to go with them, I want to stay with you and mummy."

"I won't, I promise." He said and I held on to him tighter. I felt as if I let go, I'd be taken away again. I didn't want to leave. I wanted to stay here in my home.

"You never do anything around here Derek!" I heard my mum yell. "You just sit on your ass and drink away all our money! Think about our kids! What's best for them!"

"Don't yell at me Anne!" I heard my dad yell and Ashton rocked us back and forth. We had hid in a closet, covered with our mum's jackets and sweaters.

"Why are mum and dad fighting?" I asked my older brother, who was playing with my hair. He was scared, I knew he was, but he was hiding it,

"I don't know," he said quietly. I heard crashes and yells and I flinched away and closer to my older brother. "But just close your eyes, it won't last long. It never does."

I did as he said and closed my eyes. I couldn't stand the crashes and the yelling. I hated it. I curled more into Ashton and he held me protectively.

"You are not a father! Autumn is my baby girl! You have no right to take her from me! And Ashton is my baby boy! You're not even fit to be a dad! Those are my children!" I heard my mum yell.

"Who's balls did they come from Anne? Mine! Therefore, I am able to take my children away! Especially when their mother is an ungrateful bitch!" I heard my dad yell.

"Ash," I said and he hummed. "What does he mean by balls? And b-bitch?" I asked him and Ashton laughed slightly. I looked at him and he shook his head.

"Don't worry about it," he told me and I nodded.

"Those are my kids and I will not let you touch them!" I heard my mum yell and suddenly I heard a door burst open. I curled closer into Ashton, closer than physically possible, and he pulled me closer too.

"Stay quiet," Ashton whispered and I nodded. He continued playing with my hair and mum and dad continued fighting. I closed my eyes and covered my ears at their angry words.

"Kids! Come out! Daddy needs you!" I heard dad yell and my normal instinct was to go to him, but Ashton kept me down. "Come here! I got candy!"

"He's lying Autumn," Ashton said and I nodded. I stayed in his lap and my mum kept telling us to stay hidden. Ashton shifted me on his lap and suddenly, a thump was heard.

A jacket had fallen and it felt right where the closet opened up just a bit. "There they are," I heard my dad say and I gripped Ashton like my life depended on it.

"Come here you two," dad said and grabbed me. I held on to Ashton, screaming 'no' at him. "Come here," he said angrily and yanked me away from him. The door next to Ashton opened my mum took him.

"Ashton!"

"Autumn!"

My dad held my arm tightly and tears streamed down my face. "No! I wanna stay with mummy and Ash!" I screamed but my dad shook his head.

"You're going to stay with daddy now Autumn. Mummy is mean." He told me and I shook my head. "Do you want a spanking when we get home?" He asked angrily and I yelled at him.

I started hitting him, and with one particular hit, he fell on the floor. I ran to mummy and Ashton. I grabbed on to Ashton and he handed me a necklace when we pulled away. It was his.

"Keep it," he said and then looked behind me. "No!" He yelled and grabbed me again. I cried into his chest and my dad ripped me away from Ashton.

"Do not grab my daughter like that!" My mum yelled and my dad looked at her angrily. "She is not a doll! You'll hurt her!"

"You're coming with me." My dad said and dragged me away from my crying brother and upset mum. I didn't want to leave. I wanted to stay.

"Ashton you lied! You said you wouldn't let him take me! You said you'll protect me! You're a liar! I hate you! I hate you so much!"