□ Growing Up □

Warnings: slight angst, sadness, smol kiddos

~~~~~

"Daddy?" Tommy squeaked out, reaching up towards the creeper hybrid who was fastening on his armor, "What's up, champ?" Sam asked softly, taking a moment to bend down to the young boy's height. "Where you go...? You stay wif me, we read?" The seven year old asked, his speech impediment hindering his ability to speak proper sentences. "Toms, I need to go to Ponk's to get some things for you, I'll be right back, I promise. You can play with Fran while I'm gone and when I get back we can read some books, does that sound good?" The older asked, gently placing a handpaw on Tommy's cheek. The young boy nodded sadly, "You hurry. I don' want to wait. Me want read now." Sam chuckled at the boy's fiery personality, ruffling his hair before turning to the hallway, "Also Toms, Sam Nook will be here to look after you while I'm gone as well, have fun!" And with that, Sam pressed a small button on a panel on his forearm and the robot they named Sam Nook appeared from the other room, causing Tommy's face to light up. "Nook!! Sam Nook!" He cheered, running over to the robot and hugging it. Sam Nook hugged the boy back gently, giving Sam a look he couldn't describe, it almost looked proud, yet sad. Sam brushed off the unnerving feeling and headed out the door, making his way to Ponk's house.

When the hybrid reached the house he was looking for, he gently knocked on the front door, stepping back to allow room for the door to open. After a few moments, a nearly white, platinum blonde haired man opened the door, tilting his head to look up at Sam, who towered over him, "Sammy, you made it!!" Sam chuckled, "Of course, Ponky, I wouldn't want to miss seeing my favorite person or not get the help Tommy needs!" Ponk embraced Sam tightly, "You need to visit more, outside of business or serious reasons." Sam nodded, "I will soon." The duo then separated and headed inside.

After Sam got everything he needed from Ponk, he headed home, his arms filled with things the young boy would need to help improve his speech. Currently, he was trying to figure out the reason behind Tommy's speech impediment, Ponk thought it may be due to the fact that his mother, whoever she may be, drank alcoholic beverages or took things she shouldn't have while pregnant, but of course, they could neither prove nor disprove that. When Sam reached home, he opened the door to see Tommy sleeping on Sam Nook's lap, his arms gently hugging Fran's tail. The creeper hybrid smiled, quietly making his way to the kitchen and setting everything down on the table. Once he was done, Sam went over to Sam Nook and gently picked up Tommy, making sure not to wake the boy as he carried him to his room, where he laid him on his bed and tucked him in. Sam then went back out of the room to prepare lunch for the little gremlin child and repair Sam Nook if needed.

A few hours later, Tommy awoke and crawled out of bed, making his way to where Sam was sitting at the kitchen table, reading over a paper affiliated with something Ponk had given him. "Da..." Tommy mumbled, going over and hugging Sam's legs, "up now, play?" Sam smiled, looking away from the paper and ruffling Tommy's hair, "Not now, Toms, I need to ask you a few things if that's fine." The boy nodded quickly, enthusiastic about being asked questions. "Alright, before I adopted you, did you like your family?" Tommy though for a moment, tapping his hands on the sides of his legs, "Like family? Not really, mean, hurt me." Sam frowned, "How did they hurt you?" "When bad, they hit. They hit even when good. They hurted arm." Tommy said, referring to his arm which had been previously bound in a cast. Sam fell still, a new found anger bubbling up within him, he then pulled Tommy into a tight hug. "I will never hurt you, you are my everything. You're safe with me." Tommy hugged him back, nuzzling his face into Sam's shoulder, "I love you, da." He mumbled happily. "I love you too." Sam replied softly, rubbing a hand up and down Tommy's small back. After a while, Sam let Tommy go from the hug and he abandoned his research to go play with the boy, hopefully understand his speech impediment more. Sam had only had custody of Tommy for a little over two weeks now, he knew beforehand about his speech impediment, but he wanted to understand it more, try and find a way to help it go away. As the duo ran around the yard and played together, Sam noticed that Tommy flinched a lot, at nearly any movement Sam made, which practically confirmed the fact that Tommy had been abused by his previous family. Sam tried his best to avoid certain movements, making Tommy feel more relaxed and safe in the environment he made for him, Sam did his best to keep Tommy healthy and safe.

After they headed inside, Sam messaged Ponk with his new findings and a few concerns, 'hey, I think Tommy's speech impediment was caused by previous trauma and abuse, he flinches at nearly everything I do and he even said his family hurt him. If there's any way I can make him feel safer or ease the impediment, please let me know.' Sam then went back to studying the papers Ponk had given him, Tommy was watching a movie in the other room. Ponk responded shortly after, 'that could be possible, do you think he would be comfortable staying overnight at my place some time so I can try to get to the bottom of this?' Sam thought for a moment before sending another message, 'I'm sure he wouldn't mind, but could I possibly come with him? I want him to know I won't abandon him and I care for him...' 'Why don't I just spend the night at your place then? Would tomorrow night work?' 'Yeah, that would be great. See ya tomorrow!' 'See you tomorrow.' The conversation ended as quickly as it started, causing Sam to go back to reading, and Ponk to go back to whatever he was doing. Sam was excited for Ponk to come over and stay the night, it would benefit Tommy.

The next day, Ponk came over to their house around noon, lugging around a hiking backpack filled with things he'd need for his overnight stay. "Where can I put my stuff?" Ponk asked quietly, his shier side showing. Sam smiled, gently grabbing his hand and guiding him to his room, "You can set your stuff on my bed or whoever you want on the floor. You'll be sleeping in here and I'll be on the couch!" Ponk nodded before piping up once more, "But that's unfair to you. I basically invited myself over and you're treating me as a proper guest. I'll take the couch, you take your bed." "No, guests get the best. You sleep in my bed, I sleep on the couch." Sam said firmly. Ponk shook his head, "No, I refuse! I'll sleep on the-" Sam cut him off, "Fine. Then we'll both sleep in the bed, how about that? Your head at one end, mine at the other." Ponk didn't say another word after that, he just awkwardly shifted his gaze to the floor. Sam huffed softly, running a handpaw through his hair, "It's settled then." He then cracks a small Smile, which causes Ponk to smile as well, the duo then burst out into laughter, "Man, we just argued like we were kids again!!" Ponk choked out between laughs, Sam nodding his head vigorously in agreement, wheezing too hard to talk. Sam wrapped an arm around Ponk's shoulders, the pair still laughing their asses off as they headed into the bedroom to get everything set up for later that night. Sam untucked the sheets, as much as he didn't want to, before placing his pillow at the foot end of the bed, whereas Ponk took one of Sam's pillows and fluffed it up before placing it at the head end of the bed. When the two were done, Ponk set his backpack on the floor and they left the room, heading out to the living room where Tommy was laying down with Fran and petting her softly. When the boy noticed the duo, he smiled, "P-Ponk!! Hi hi hi!!" The masked man chuckled at that, bending down and giving the young boy a hug, "Hey Tommy, it's good to see you!" Tommy hugged him back tightly, "It good see y-you!" Tommy smiled big, after stepping away from the hug he jumped up and down in excitement, laughing. Ponk smiled, "Hey Tommy, want to play a game?" Tommy stopped jumping around, "OOH! Y-YEAH! WHA- WHA GAME???!!!" Ponk noticed Sam wince slightly at the boy's enthusiasm, but he laughed it off,  bending over to be at Tommy's eye level, "It's a fun game, we get to tell stories and have lots of fun! I made it myself, maybe you could help me come up with a name?" At that, Tommy gasped, nodding enthusiastically, a smile plastered on his small face. The two then went and sat on the floor, Ponk explaining the game and using various hand gestures as he did so, giving the boy and his hyperactive mind a slight visual. Sam smiled softly as he watched the pair, they both held a special place in his heart, he didn't know what he would do without them.

A/N

Oh wow, this went on much longer than I expected... anyways, this is the end of this story! You guys can imagine what happens after it you want, maybe tell me some of your theories (:

More stories are on the way!! <3