1. Meeting the CEO

Jessica

When Troy died in jail, I thought all of my troubles would be gone but turns out I was in for a more dreadful one.

It has been months since the company was struggling, I have been working all day and night but the impact seemed very little. Every month I kept on firing people and did more budget cuts just to keep the company afloat.

"Jessica, you should consider their offer. We can't keep on firing our employees," my assistant Kayleigh has been pushing me again with the new contract from the Richardson worldwide enterprise.

But I just look at her and keep on scrolling on the Excel sheets trying to find ways to minimize our cost. Though I understand cutting costs is just a temporary solution, in my mind, I was already considering signing their contract.

"Look, Aaron is here I think he's trying to get back to you..."

I sighed knowing I don't have time for him, he had been there for me. We were close, he tried to get closer but I just can't.

Not after Troy.

Not after my brother abused and molested me.

"Tell him I'm in a meeting. I can't Kayleigh, he's better off without me."

I'm such a baggage.

"Jess, you worked too much. Maybe he can lighten up your mood?"

"Kay, please?"

She sighed and shook her head but walked out of my office to let Aaron know that I was not available for a meet.

I was just about to sit when my phone buzzed with an incoming call from our finance department.

I took a deep breath before taking his call.

"Good evening Jessica, it's regarding the outstanding payments. We need to discuss how to handle..." his voice sounded distant while my mind was busy elsewhere and my eyes were looking at my laptop screen.

"Tell them to give us another month."

"But..."

"We'll get it done, I just need to make the call. Look, Lewis go home. It's late... I'll take care of it." I cut his words and hang up on him after he was satisfied with my answer.

An hour later I was trying to calm my nerves since their CEO decided to meet after I said there were some clauses that needed further discussion upon signing their contract.

I still couldn't believe that after months of struggling I finally gave up and decided to sell my parent's only legacy.

My eyes were already teary when I poured the strongest malt and drink it slowly. I was savoring the burn, trying to numb the pain while thinking about more than a dozen problems that needed to be solved weeks ago.

"Dad, how do we even get to this point?" I asked, talking to myself while looking at mom and dad's picture mounted on the wall. I have never felt so useless before, the tears were tracing down my cheeks when I heard his annoying voice.

"You should stop with the drinking, and start with the working."

I quickly wiped my tears before turning to face him, I could see a glint of surprise in his gaze and I hated that he saw the fragile side of me.

"Please take a seat, I'll be with you in a moment." I excused myself to go to the restroom and gather my mind before talking to him about signing over my family's company to his.

"Jess! is that him? he's so hot!" Kayleigh stormed into the bathroom where I decided to wash my face from my tears.

Yes, with the budget cost, we have sold our spacious office space and rent out a smaller working area where I don't even have the privacy of a private toilet.