Chapter 44

Minho snaps his head to look at Thomas, and raises an eyebrow.

"Is it really the best idea for me to leave you all here?" He questions.

"You're going to have to. Newt obviously can't carry on going." Thomas replies, side glancing Newt anxiously, "just get the serum and run back to us as fast as you can."

"I'll go to." Gally chips in. "I'll cover him for getting through the crossfire."

Minho looks between Gally and Thomas, clenching his jaw as he decides whether he should go or not. Finally, he exhales deeply and turns to Newt, who's barely able to keep his eyes open.

"Newt, I'm going to get you the serum, alright?" He says.

Newt smacks his lips together before grasping Minho's upper arm, looking him dead in the eyes. "Take... take Y/N with you."

My eyes widen as I snap my head to look at him, and already my head is shaking before the words even leave my mouth. "What? No, no Newt I'm staying here. I promised you that I wouldn't leave your side."

"Y/N, I'm telling you to go with Minho." Newt says weakly, shifting his eyes to me.

"And I'm telling you that I'm staying here." I argue, trying to push down the lump rising in my throat.

"No you're not." Newt says as firmly as he can, removing his hand from Minho and taking hold of mine. "Go with them."

"No. Newt, I'm stay-"

But before I can finish my sentence, Newt grabs hold of my collar and pulls me into him, pushing his lips against mine.

Completely caught off guard, my eyes widen as I feel my lips starting to tingle from the contact of his. My heart pounds so hard against my rib cage that I can hear it ringing in my ears as I slowly close my eyes and return the kiss.

Amidst all the chaos and war going on around us, I manage to focus on only Newt as I wrap my arms around his back, pulling him upright so we're at a less awkward angle. I can taste the metallic, coppery taste of black blood in my mouth coming from his, but I couldn't care less about that. In that moment, every memory I've ever shared with Newt flashes in my mind as he weakly buries his hand in my knotted hair, leaning his forehead against mine as his energy starts to drain.

Finally, I pull away once I can tell that he can't muster up the energy to continue. I can feel Thomas's eyes bore into my back as I cup Newt's sweaty face in my hands, pushing back gently so he looks at me.

"Please... go." He whispers as tears start to roll down both our cheeks. I close my eyes and nod shakily, squeezing his face.

"Ok." I choke out. "Ok, I will. But you have to promise that you will hold on until I get back. Promise me?"

"I promise." Newt says, running his finger along my tear stained cheek. "I promise."

"Alright." I whisper, letting go of his face and rising to my feet. "Ok, let's go." I turn around and look at the boys, who all stare at me, completely shocked by what just happened. Except for Minho, who's grinning like a child and trying to keep himself from giggling with little success.

"Oh shut up." I laugh weakly, rubbing my eyes.

"Ok, let's get going." Gally says, "we need to be quick."

"Just hang on, Newt." Minho says, his smile fading as he reaches out to grab the boy's shoulder. "We'll be back very soon. So just... hang on for me."

"Thank you... thank you Minho." Newt manages to gasp out, nodding weakly at the boy. Minho pats his shoulder and rises up to his feet before running out into the street, not bothering to wait for me and Gally.