Chapter 30

A/N: I'm so sorry for not updating this for the past couple of days school has been very stressful and I'm very sorry this chapter is short I just didn't want to leave anyone hanging

I dab my sleeve against my split lip as Jorge speeds through desert towards the Last City. Brenda spins around in her seat and raises her eyebrow at Thomas, smirking at him.

"What?" He says. She doesn't reply, just continues to smirk and shakes her head slightly.

"I didn't want to put you in danger." Thomas confesses. Brenda laughs and looks to Jorge, who smirks at Thomas in the rear view mirror.

"What he's trying to say is thanks for saving our asses." Frypan cuts in, grinning at the girl.

"No problem." Brenda replies, turning back around in her seat.

"Congrats hermanos, you nearly lasted a whole day by yourself." Jorge laughs, winking at me in the mirror.

"Is your lip alright?" Newt asks worriedly from beside me, noticing the bleeding.

"Hm? Oh yeah, it's fine." I reply, smiling at him. He weakly returns the gesture.

"Yeah, sorry about that Y/N." Thomas says from the other side of me.

"It's alright." I reply, smirking at Frypan, "if there's anyone to blame it's Fry's reckless driving."

"Hey, I was only doing what I needed to do!" He exclaims, making me laugh.

"That was the last remaining checkpoint for the City." Jorge interrupts, "so if that place is overran by Cranks, then it's very likely that the Last City will be as well."

"Yeah, unless they've found a new way to keep out the Cranks." Gzi says from behind me. I turn around and see the girl staring out the window in disbelief, pushing her blonde curls out of her eyes.

I lean back slightly to look at what the girl has seen, and my mouth falls open at the sight.

In the distance, a massive city shimmers under the sunlight, and walls taller than the ones I had in the Maze surround the buildings.

Jorge pulls the car over into a lay-by and turns off the ignition before jumping out.

The rest of us follow, walking to the edge of the road before it drops down a few fifty feet, and stare at the city in amazement.

"It's funny," Newt sighs, placing his hands on his hips, "we spent three years trying to escape the walls, and now we're trying to break back in."

"So how do we get in there?" Thomas asks, turning to look at Jorge.

"Hey, don't ask me hermano." Jorge replies, "WICKED'S built those walls since I was last here."

"WICKED seems to have a bit of a fetish for building walls." Gzi mutters, making me giggle slightly.

"Well then how are we supposed to get in?" Frypan asks the group.

"Well, we aren't going to figure it out from up here, are we?" Brenda says, turning on her heel and striding back towards the car. "Come on, let's head towards the city."

Jorge and Fry quickly follow behind the girl, jumping back into the truck.

"You really think Minho's in there?" Newt says to Thomas, who stares out across the city.

"Well, we won't know unless we don't go." He replies.

"You know she's going to be in there as well?" Newt says. Thomas's jaw clenches slightly, but he doesn't reply.

I wince slightly at the mention of 'she'.

Teresa. I wonder if she's having fun in there.

*****
Newt tightly grabs my hand as we walk through the Last City, pushing through the swarm of bodies as they shout at each other.

"I've got a bad feeling about this." Gzi mumbles from beside me, barely loud enough for me to hear over the noise around us.

"WICKED can't ignore us forever!" A robotic voice booms, causing us all to snap our heads around. The swarm of people part down the middle as a large car drives through the streets, several masks figures sitting on the roof. One of the men holds a megaphone up to his mouth, raising his fist up in the air.

"We're rotting out here waiting for a cure, and they still continue to say they 'need more time'?" The man continues "well I won't allow that! I say we tear down the walls and break in ourselves!" 

A couple of cheers in agreement come from the crowd as the first car passes by, quickly followed behind by another. I notice one of the men on the back of the car staring at our group, more specifically Thomas.

"Let's keep going." Thomas says cautiously, eyeing the boy on the car just as he disappears into the crowd.

"It's this way." Jorge nods, leading us through the sea of soon-to-be Cranks. Brenda flips the hood of her jacket over her head, clutching Frypan's hand tightly as we follow the man road after road, until we finally make it to the edge of the City.

"Look, there it is!" Thomas exclaims, pointing in front of us. "That's our way in."

He pushes through the crowd of people, making his way towards the barrier at the end of the road which separates us from the colossal walls of the city, which stand at the end of a stretch of dirt.

"Wait, hermano!" Jorge calls after him, shoving people aside to get to Thomas. The rest of us quickly follow behind, but I notice Newt's jaw tightly clenched as his eyes dart across the sea of people.

"Is everything alright Newt?" I ask him.

"I think we're being followed." He replies, "look over there."

I turn my head and see one of the masked men who were sitting on top of the car staring directly at us, making the hairs on my neck stand up.

"We need to tell the others." I say. Newt nods and pulls me through the shouting crowd, shoving people aside as we finally make it to Thomas.

"We need to go now!" Newt says to the boy, pointing back at the man. "They're following us."

I turn back around and my face falls when I see that there is now more than one of them, making their way through the crowd towards us.

Thomas opens his mouth to respond, but the deafening alarms from the walls cut him off, causing the commotion from the crowd to instantly stop.

I turn my head back around and watch as a strange machine rises to the surface of the top of the walls, with beeping red lights on top of it.

My heart drops. "Fuck.."

Suddenly, a missile explodes on the dirt right in front of our group, and all hell is let loose.