fourteen || hockey and the diner

"Hey, Amber!" Connie said once Amber picked up the phone that had been ringing for like the past 5 minutes. It was a Saturday morning and Amber was sleeping and hadn't heard it at first.
"Hey." Amber said, rubbing her tired eyes.
"You sound like basically dead." Connie laughed.
"Thanks." She said sarcastically.
"No problem!" Connie said joyfully, ignoring the girl's bitterness. "Well, anyways, do you want to come hangout with me and the ducks today? We're planning on playing hockey, it'll be fun!"
"When? I kind of just woke up." Amber said.
"Oh, I can tell." Connie said laughing a little. "We can meet at the big park in like an hour."
"Fine." Amber laughed.
"Yay! Do you need a ride?" Connie asked.
"Probably." Amber said.
"Okay, Whoever's taking me can drive you too." Connie said.
"Perfect, thanks." Amber replied before hanging up to get ready. She put on her favorite t-shirt which was greyish-white with black writing on it. She also put on black jeans. Then, she put her hair in a pony tail and put her padding and other hockey stuff together. She put on sneakers which she would be trading for roller skates later.
Amber called Connie to let her know she was ready and Connie told her she was about to leave. Amber waited about 10-15 minutes before hearing a knock on the door. She ran over to open it, calling to her mom, "Connie's here! I'm gonna go. Bye, love you."
"Bye, sweetie! Have fun." Mrs. Newton responded before the door shut.
"Hey, Connie!" Amber said getting into the car. She then noticed Julie in the seat next to Connie. "Oh, Julie, hey!" She said happily.
"Hey, Am!" Julie said smiling.
"Hi, Am!" Connie said.
The three girls talked and laughed until they got to the park. They said bye to Connie's mom before getting out of the car. Everyone else was already there.
"Took you girls long enough." Russ joked.
"Shut it, Russ." Amber jokingly glared at the boy.
They started playing and it was really fun. Amber was so happy she got on the hockey team, became friends with her teammates, and decided to hangout with them today.
They were just playing when Dwayne yelled "Hey! It's Coach Bombay!"
Amber looked over to see Gordon Bombay and by his side, Charlie Conway.
Amber skated over to the fence where they were standing, "Come on! Come play." She beamed.
"Damn, Conway, what took you so long?" Russ said skating up behind Amber.
"Come on!" Averman said.
"Get in the game!" Russ said.
"Yeah, come on, Coach!" Dwayne said.
"Come on, Char!" Amber said.
They all played, cheering and yelling with each score. It was a happy, fun time for everyone.
After the game and all the fun, Charlie started skating away. Amber called to Julie that she didn't need a ride back home and went off to catch up to Charlie. "Charlie! Wait up!" She yelled.
He turned around and was met with the face of the pretty girl. "Hey, Amber."
"Hey!" She said happily.
"Uh, Amber, do you wanna get something to eat maybe? Today?" Charlie asked nervously.
"Sure! Where should we go?" She asked.
"We can skate to the diner." Charlie said.
"Alright!" Amber smiled.
They quickly skated to the diner, talking and laughing the whole way there. They stopped at the entrance to change into their shoes instead of roller skates and to take off their padding and helmets. Then, they walked into the diner.
"Charlie!" A woman who worked there said. Amber thought they looked familiar.
"Hey, mom!" Charlie said. Then, Amber remembered seeing her at the funeral.
"What are you doing here? And who's this?" She said smiling.
"We were just with the team and we wanted to grab some food. This is Amber." Charlie said.
"Oh hi, Amber! I've heard so much about you." She said. Charlie looked at his mom as if he was telling her to shut up.
"Hi, Mrs. Conway, nice to meet you." Amber smiled.
"Nice to meet you too! Anyways, what do you want to eat, Amber?" Casey asked. She didn't need to ask Charlie since he always got the same thing. 
"A strawberry milkshake and fries." Amber said smiling.
Casey walked away and the two went to a table.
"So you talk about me to your mommy?" Amber teased as they sat down.
"Shut it, you probably talk about me all the time to your brother!" He replied. He wasn't wrong but she couldn't let Charlie know that.
"No way!" Amber said defensively.
"Yeah, right." Charlie smirked, annoying the girl sitting across from him.
"Charlie!" Casey yelled.
"I'm gonna get the food, be right back." Charlie said.
When Charlie got over to his mom, she whispered, "She's really pretty, is this a date?"
Charlie glanced at Amber and blushed, "No mom, it's not."
"Well, maybe you should make it one." Casey suggested.
Charlie rolled his eyes grabbing the food from his mom.
"Seriously, Charlie, she's so pretty and she seems really nice. You look happy with her." Casey smiled.
Charlie walked back to Amber with the food. "Thanks, Char!" She said smiling.
"You're welcome, Am." Charlie said, sitting down.
Amber took a sip of her milkshake. "This is really good! I should come here more often."
"Yeah, then you might run into me more often." Charlie smiled teasingly.
"Sounds great." Amber was still smiling. She felt happier being here with Charlie again.
"So, what have I missed at school?" Charlie asked.
"Nothing really. Umm... math is as boring as ever. We're done with our projects for english so now we get to read a great book." Amber said the 'great' sarcastically. Amber had a specific interest in books and this wasn't it. The book they had to read was definitely going to bore her.
"What book?" Charlie asked.
"To Kill A Mockingbird, it's boring so far, not my type of book." Amber said.
"Well, what do you normally read?" Charlie asked.
"Mystery, crime, interesting books." Amber said. "Oh and there's more, me and Henry were fighting for a while. We made up though. And at lunch, I didn't sit with the rest of the team. I sat with Grace, Ross, and Bradley instead. You know, I wish you'd just come back. What did you guys even do?"
"We went to a carnival. We went on a bunch of rides, it was pretty fun, at least til we got sick." Charlie said. Then, the two continued talking for about an hour.
After that hour, Amber used the restaurants phone to call Henry and asked for a ride home. When Henry got there, Amber hugged Charlie good bye. "Bye, Char. Hopefully I'll see you soon."
"You will." He smiled.
With that, Amber went out to the car, totally ready to be teased by Henry about being with Charlie.