A Vacation from the Vacation (Husband Levi x Wife Reader Modern AU)

Start from the beginning

Not even wanting to stay for lunch, you turned on the car and readied to go home.

"Hey..." Levi began tentatively from his spot in the passenger's seat. "There's a theater nearby. Maybe we could stop and see that new superhero movie. At least try to do something fun this weekend."

You sighed heavily and dropped your head into your hands. "I don't know," you muttered, completely drained. "I don't think I could take it if we ended up not enjoying the movie. This whole vacation has been too much of a disappointment already."

"It's your call," he replied quietly.

You glanced over at your husband. He was staring down at his hands in his lap, appearing slightly dejected for someone who was typically so expressionless. You knew that by suggesting the movie, he was just trying to be helpful – and that being helpful meant a lot to him. Despite his cold outer layer, it was his nature to diligently support the needs and desires of those he cared about. If he couldn't be useful, he was left without a purpose. Lost. Empty.

You smiled softly at him, trying to look encouraging as you reached out and took his hand. "You know what, why not?" you murmured. "Everyone on social media has been raving about this movie, anyway. I'm sure it'll be good."

And even if it wasn't, it was worth it to you to try, to take Levi's suggestion and thus demonstrate your confidence in his ideas. He deserved to know that he was appreciated and trusted. Besides, his recommendations were usually pretty good, given his cleverness and the fact that he knew you so well. Actually, the more you thought about it, the more you believed that you would enjoy the movie.

Regardless, your own happiness wasn't the only factor for you to consider. Levi had suffered the same annoyances as you had this weekend. Although he wouldn't say it, he was probably just as eager for something to take his mind off the headache, and he had every right to that. This was supposed to be his vacation too, after all.

"You sure?" he asked, glancing at you with eyes that were both tentative and earnest. "We don't have to."

"Absolutely," you replied, already searching for the theater on your GPS.

------------------------------------------

The movie was epic – everything you hoped for and more. It was so good that you and Levi were able to forget about your frustrations for a while. Afterward, as you were driving home, the two of you discussed it happily, raving about your favorite action scenes, quotes, and comedic moments.

However, even though your mind was excited, your body still felt drained. And once you and Levi exhausted your commentary, you had nothing to distract you from the fact that you were tense from stress and tired from lack of sleep. Once again, your mood took a nosedive as you recalled every annoying detail from your vacation.

You pulled up at a red light, and you let go of the wheel, using one hand to hold your head while the other rested in your lap. Your eyelids felt heavy, and you almost wished you could fall asleep right there. You were just so...done.

Of course, attentive as Levi was, he noticed the signs of your frustration right away.

"You feeling bad again?" he asked.

You nodded.

Levi's sympathetic eyes searched you for a moment before he reached out and gently took your hand. His voice was soft as he offered, "Well...when we get home, I could..."

He trailed off, but the light, suggestive brush of his thumb across your skin conveyed the rest. Yet, despite the implications of the gesture, his tone wasn't husky or sinful. Rather, it was earnest and comforting.

His thoughtfulness melted your heart, and you managed to give him a small smile. "That sounds really nice," you murmured, fatigued but sincere. In fact, you could already picture it – lying down in your familiar bed and closing your eyes, feeling nothing but the softness of the sheets and Levi's warm, muscular body... "Just let me start the laundry first, okay?"

"Want me to help?" he asked, again conveying quiet devotion.

You shook your head. "No. I want to do it," you replied, feeling like you needed to do something productive, so that the weekend wasn't a total waste. Besides, you wanted to start washing away the memory of this stressful vacation as quickly as possible. The sooner everything was cleaned and put away, the sooner you could forget about it.

"Okay," he muttered, seeming to understand where you were coming from.

You sighed, then leaned your head on his shoulder, nestling into the crook of his neck, still holding his hand. You let your eyelids lower, keeping them open just enough to watch the stoplight. When you inhaled, you were wrapped in his familiar scent, and that comforted you even more than the thought of returning home. You wished that you could simply close your eyes and stay like this forever.

Eventually, the light turned green, and you had to focus on the road. At least now, you had something else to look forward to, on top of the welcome idea of going back to your cozy, familiar house. However, you weren't filled with the typical, heated anticipation that preceded such passionate acts. Rather, that same, calm warmth from earlier stayed with you, curling in your chest like a sleeping, contented cat. You still felt just as stressed and drained as you had before, but Levi's words brought a promise that those frustrations would soon be eased, and that was something. Moreover, you felt grateful to have such a sweet, devoted husband.

------------------------------------------

You tossed the last of your clothes in the washing machine and closed the lid. You hit the start button, but before you had a chance to turn around, Levi was behind you, wrapping his arms around your waist. However, he didn't move to take things further, so you simply leaned into his embrace and slid your arms over his, breathing an inaudible sigh of relief.

For a minute, the two of you just closed your eyes and held each other. After everything you had gone through this weekend, it felt nice to be still, to let your strung-out self be calmed and centered by your partner's embrace. Again, you would have been content to stay here forever, were it not for the promise of more intimate activities to come.

Yet, you weren't the only one who felt drained – the vacation had taken its toll on Levi as well. He had tried to hide it for your sake, just like always, but he wasn't immune to all those little annoyances that had piled up in a big way. Now, he needed your embrace as much as you needed his. You could feel his lethargy in the way he leaned into you, in the way he rested his head against yours.

Despite the fact that he had offered earlier, you didn't want him to feel like he had to do a bunch of work tonight while you just got to relax. You knew that was his default, if left unchecked. He had a habit of ignoring his own needs in favor of yours, and you always had to be careful not to let him run himself ragged. Tonight was no different. He needed rest just as much as you did – and you wanted him to have it.

Keeping your eyes closed, you nuzzled your nose into his cheek. "You tired?" you murmured.

Levi gave a noncommittal hum. Anyone else might have been confused, but you had been married to him long enough to understand. Yes, he was tired, but he also wanted to unwind with you in the way he had promised. That was his nature, after all – to serve the person he loved. He wouldn't feel right if he just passed out on the bed, knowing that you were still stressed.

You hummed back in acknowledgement, then nuzzled his cheek again before whispering, "Do you want to just...lie down and make each other feel good?"

Levi nodded into your shoulder. Slowly, groggily, he detached himself from you, only to take your hand instead. You accepted the gesture gladly, giving him a gentle squeeze. Together, you walked into your bedroom and nudged the door shut behind you. And when you finally crawled into bed, the soft mattress and fresh-smelling sheets were even more welcoming than you had imagined. But best of all was the strong, kindhearted man snuggled up next to you.