4

To Natasha, the atmosphere and simplicity of the lounge was almost more intoxicating than the alcohol the friendly bartender served. This was the the simple life, people coming from a long business day or event to escape or rest for a while. On its own, the bar was nothing special; it was ancient, with outdated chandeliers and wallpaper that peeled off at the top. The jukebox played the same three songs, the leather in the booths chipped with age. Though it was simple, it was charming. As was the bartender that planted a glass of whiskey in front of Natasha without fail night after night.

"Evening, Natasha," Wanda greeted with an easy smile.

After taking a grateful sip of whiskey, Natasha couldn't help but smile back. "How goes it, barkeep?"

"Not bad at all. Yourself?"

"Never better."

Natasha finished off the whiskey with ease. The spy sat content on her corner bar stool, eyes surveying the modest but lively crowd. Two businessmen were in the middle of what looked like an intense negotiation, old friends laughed over a few beers, a starry eyed young couple sipped wine.

"I got a question, Wanda," Natasha started with a grin, eyes on the lovers.

"What's up?" Returned the bartender as she wiped down the bar.

"Is it true what people say about bartenders?"

"You're always so vague," Wanda chuckled, meeting the spy's eyes.

"I mean," she gestured to the crowd, "they say bartenders are incredibly perceptive. That they can tell what's going on in a person's head or in their lives just by looking at them."

"Hm..." Wanda trailed, squinting at the crowd. She nodded in the direction of a table. "The young couple is on their second date. He's super into it but she's not sure. Divorced, I'm assuming."

"How can you tell?"

"This is their second time here," Wanda laughed, "and he's bought the drinks both times. The lady keeps fiddling with her ring finger like there should be something on it, but there's not."

"Not bad," Natasha praised. "Do me."

"Do you?" Wanda asked with a mischievous smile.

"You know what I meant," the spy deadpanned, though she couldn't stop the heat rising to her cheeks. "Real mature, Maximoff."

"I think...." Wanda shook her head. "I don't know. You're a tough read, Natasha. You keep coming back but I can't seem to figure out why."

"You've thought about it?"

"Maybe I have."

A customer called for Wanda's attention, pulling her away from the conversation. The spy sighed and pinched the bridge of her nose. She should be on the move; the danger surrounding the mission only heightened with each passing day. Soon, she and Clint would have to make a move in a big way. Maybe Natasha should make a move of her own before it was too late.

Eventually, the bar cleared out. The two businessmen shook hands, the old friends hugged, and the young couple shared a chaste kiss goodbye. In the meantime, Natasha had fallen asleep at the bar, leaving just herself and Wanda with gentle soul music playing over the jukebox.

"Natasha," Wanda called gently, poking Natasha's shoulder. The spy startled awake, slipping off her barstool. Stifling a laugh, Wanda rushed to the other side of the bar to pull Natasha up to her feet. "You alright?"

Natasha clocked Wanda's warm hand resting on her hip. "I'm fine."

As Natasha returned to her seat, Wanda rifled through the storage cabinets under the bar.

"I just remembered, I got you something."

Leaning over the bar, Natasha found the bartender pulling out a little rectangular box. "What is it?"

"It's a first aid kit." Wanda presented it to the other woman proudly. "I figured you could use it, what with all the little injuries you bring into my bar."

Subconsciously, Natasha's fingers found the closing wound on her eyebrow. "Thank you, Wanda. This is... really sweet."

"It looks better, by the way," Wanda said. "Your cut."

"Thanks to you."

Wanda laughed. "Please, Natasha. I just dabbed some blood with a paper towel."

Natasha shrugged. Now or never, right? She reached a tentative hand out, placing it over the bartender's. "It's probably the nicest thing anyone's ever done for me. Well, that and," she picked up the first aid kit, "this."

Wanda almost short circuited at the contact. After regaining her senses, she smiled widely and made her way to the other side of the bar, grabbing a bottle of her favorite wine on the way.

"Seeing as there's no one else here," Wanda said, taking a seat on the stool next to the spy's, "no one can stop me from drinking this."

"Drinking on the job? You're dangerous, Maximoff," Natasha teased.

"You know all about danger, huh?"

"You could say that."

Wanda offered Natasha the first sip of wine. When she politely refused, the bartender took a good, long swig, then fixed her gaze back on Natasha.

"What are you doin' here, Natasha?"

"In the city?"

Wanda nodded.

"Here on business."

"That's all I'm gonna get, isn't it?"

"I'm afraid so."

Sighing, Wanda slouched, taking another sip. "Your life seems so exciting. You get to come into my bar, be the mysterious woman with giant cuts that are kinda hot, if I may add."

"I'm sure bartending is plenty exciting."

Wanda scoffed. "It was at first. Back when it was supposed to be temporary." She frowned. "Not that I don't enjoy it... it's just not what I thought I'd be doing."

"What do you wish you were doing? Where do you want to be?" Natasha asked, leaning in closer.

"I just wanna be something. I want to do something, you know what I mean? This," she gestured wildly, "this is nothing. I wanted to do something bigger."

"You're a dreamer."

"More like delusional."

Natasha smiled wryly at the younger woman. "So, why aren't you?"

Another long sip of wine. "My family, well, it's just me and my brother... we weren't doing well with money. I ditched whatever childish dreams I had for the paycheck. But... I did want to go to college."

"Yeah? Where at?"

"Anywhere. Get a loft in a city, live with brother and a cat or two. Maybe have a part time job. It would've been fun."

"You're so young, Wanda, you could still do it."

The bartender ignored this with a wave of her hand. "What about you? What do you want?"

Natasha paused. "Can I be honest with you?"

"Please."

"I want simple."

"Seems easy enough to achieve, Natasha."

With long sigh, Natasha shook her head. "I've been doing this for a long, long time, Wanda. I'm not in a business you can just walk away from."

"Well, if you could get out, what would you want?"

"I just want a home."

"You and me both, Nat," the young woman said with a yawn. "You and me both."