8

After the little basketball game with Mirae, Sunwoo walked her back to class before walking to his own.

He started to feel a little more at ease as his relationship grew with Mirae, persuaded that Hana had surely believed they truly like each other.

Hana hadn't always been like that, possessive. Before they got together the two were already friends, very good friends in fact. She knew him the best after himself and never failed to make him laugh.

After a few years of friendship they both realised they had romantic feelings for each other and they became a couple. Of course, at the start it was just the same, just with a stronger connection between them.

They were happy. Until Sunwoo began to realise Hana's attitude change, becoming more judgemental and ignorant. She started to spend less time with him, making excuses to cancel their dates, even on special occasions, even forgetting his birthday and their anniversary. Soon enough he didn't have any feelings for her nor did he want to be her friend anymore.

It hurt him, that someone he trusted and loved didn't seem to appreciate that. Hana had been the only one he looked to when times weren't so good, especially with his unstable situation at home.

So he decided to break it off. However, that didn't go too well, whenever he wanted to talk to her she would brush him off or make an excuse. As she always did.

They didn't meet, talk or even text all holidays but suddenly when they got back to school, Hana pretended as if they had the best relationship.

She had only used him for his popularity. Now that she was more well known around the school and others started to want to be her friend, she only spent time with Sunwoo at school, where they were seen by all the students.

He was mad and unhappy about this, until one day he decided he had enough bringing him into a little tricky situation.

A fake relationship.

However, to Sunwoo's luck it wasn't so bad. He had been lucky enough to have chosen Mirae as his "girlfriend" and not some person who was crazy in love with him.

He began to realise how amazing she was, how sweet and funny, how she never hesitated.

Sunwoo continued to daydream about their little basketball game as he walked down the hall when he heard a small sniffle and angry voice around the corner.

Quietly he peeled over to see Yoo Joha, Mirae's friend, shaking as she spoke into her phone.

"What do you mean you got me another tutor? Mum I'm already studying until 12pm every day, I only got 3 hours of sleep last night?!"

She sighed heavily, slouching down to the floor as the muffled noises of the phone stopped and ended with a clear beep.

Sunwoo watched warily as the girl stood back up and leaned against the wall, back to him, as she wiped her face.

"Are you okay?"

Joha spun round, startled to see Sunwoo looking at her empathetically.

"Were you listening in?" She looked over at him angrily, moving her body so she was directly in front of him.

"No no, I was just walking and I saw you just then... it just didn't seem like you were okay..."

Joha diverted her eyes, looking down at her feet shamefully, slightly cursing herself in the inside at the awkward atmosphere.

"Look... I don't know what's going on or what's happening, but keep your chin up. I'm sure you'll make it through, just hold on, there's a bright light at the end of your tunnel, I can see it."

Sunwoo gave a warm smile before walking past her to wherever he needed to go. Joha finally lifted her head watching the boy subtly as he walked past her and disappeared from her view.

Her once dark, red eyes sparkled as her cheeks warmed up.

No one has ever told me that.

Joha was always used to people telling her that "everything will get better" and never that it would end. To hear someone tell her that she could do it, meant a lot, more than she ever thought it would.

And to hear it from the popular boy, who she thought was just as arrogant as all the other "popular" kids were.

She could feel her legs weaken as she held onto the wall for support, her head spinning from the sudden words of comfort.

Breathing in deeply, Joha steadied herself and began to walk back to her classroom, removing any evidence of tears. She put on a smile and walked in happily.

"Joha!" Mirae waved at her friend who joined her and Haerin at their desk.

"Where did you go?"

"Oh just to the bathrooms..." Joha gritted her teeth at her hesitant tone, but apparently was good enough for her friends to dismiss and go back to their conversation.

Joha tried to listen to what they were talking about, but her mind kept slipping back to the little interaction she just had.

I'm sure you'll make it through.

The words wrapped themselves together, bouncing around in her mind as she began to completely daze off from the conversation.

"Joha? Joha!" Mirae shook the girl slightly, making her eyes widen as she looked at her friend.

"What are you thinking about?"

"Nothing, just tired." Joha simply said dropping her head on the desk, resting it on her arms looking away from her friends.

I'm sure you'll make it through.

Yeah I'll make it through.

Before she had been happy for Mirae, to be able to talk to her crush and although it was a contract relationship, at least they were able to form a bond.

She had even hoped that they would be happy and the contract would last longer. But now... she couldn't wait until the contract was over.