Battle of the Medway

The Romans watched as the detachment of specially-trained Roman auxiliaries was causing havoc at the other side of the river.

Claudius made pretty clear to the commanders and legionnaires that defeat wasn't an option. The emperor wanted to invade and conquer Britain forever, something that even the great Julius Caesar had failed. Claudius didn't want a deal; he wanted total conquest.

The enemy didn't expect the attack. Not even in a million years could they have imagined that a group of soldiers would swim and then attack. The enemies didn't know the power and the training of the Roman soldiers. And soon, the Britons would know how unstoppable the Romans truly were.

The commanders looked at each other. They knew they had to press the attack. The havoc was good, but soon the Britons would find a way to defend themselves.

Titus Flavius Sabinus and Vespasian looked at each other. They nodded at the same time. It was a crazy idea; if it were any other army, it would have failed. But they were Romans, and, as such, they were capable of everything.

Vespasian signalled to the Legio II Augusta; the legionaries didn't hesitate. They followed their orders like the exceptional soldiers they were.

A Roman legionnaire never questioned; a Roman legionnaire only obeyed.

The fully armed legionaries of Legio II Augusta crossed the river, Vespasian led them. The Britains didn't think that was possible. It seemed that all was lost.

However, the brothers Togodumnus and Caratacus refused to lose. They kept fighting, even after the impossible crossing that Vespasian led. The day ended with no clear victory.

Only on the second day of combat, after a daring attack led by Gnaeus Hosidius Geta and his Legio IX Hispana, the brothers fled.

Aulus Plautius was very proud; the first battle had been a success. Soon, all Britain would fall.

THE END

*****

The Battle of the Medway took place in 43 AD, probably on the River Medway in the lands of the Iron Age tribe of the Cantiaci, now the English county of Kent. Other locations for the battle have been suggested but are less likely. This was an early battle in the Claudian invasion of Britain, led by Aulus Plautius.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Medway