Independence or Death

João Maria José Francisco Xavier de Paula Luís António Domingos Rafael

Dom João VI, King of the United Kingdom of Portugal, Brazil and the Algarves

13/08/1822

Beloved father,

I am leaving tomorrow to São Paulo to try to assess the situation. I fear that it may be too late to stop the independence, and quite frankly, I do not want to stop it.

The Cortes are holding us hostages. They demanded your return to Portugal, and now they are trying to keep Brazil on its knees. You elevated the country to an equal, and now the members of the Cortes want to turn the country back into a mere colony. I cannot... no, I will not accept this.

In São Paulo, I will do my best to mitigate any independentist clamour, but if the last year's events on Pernambuco offer us a hint of how things will go, I am sure I will fail.

If I fail, I will do as you advised me. I will declare independence to maintain order in Brazil. As you said to me before leaving for Portugal, "rather you, that will respect me, than some adventurer."

Father, I must confess that the perspective of cutting ties with Portugal scares me. However, having my wife, Leopoldina, at my side, and seeing how much she loves Brazil, brings me some peace. I also feel peace knowing that even though Portugal and Brazil will be two countries, I can always rely on you. And I hope you know that you can always rely on me too.

I would ask for luck, but I know that the events will have already happened when you receive this letter.

So, I am sending this letter to reassure you that I will always be faithful to you no matter what happens. Father, you do not need to fear me nor my actions.

Please, father, never doubt my love and my loyalty to you.

Forever humble, lovely and yours

Pedro de Alcântara Francisco Antônio João Carlos Xavier de Paula Miguel Rafael Joaquim José Gonzaga Pascoal Cipriano Serafim de Bragança e Bourbon

Pedro I, prince regent of the United Kingdom of Portugal, Brazil and the Algarves

THE END

*****

I've opted for using the DD/MM/YYYY format because it's the way Brazilians write dates.

*****

The Independence of Brazil comprised a series of political and military events that occurred in 1821–1824, most of which involved disputes between Brazil and Portugal regarding the call for independence presented by the Brazilian Empire.

It is celebrated on 7 September, the anniversary of the date in 1822 that prince regent Dom Pedro declared Brazil's independence from the former United Kingdom of Portugal, Brazil and Algarves. Formal recognition came with a treaty three years later, signed by the new Empire of Brazil and the Kingdom of Portugal in late 1825.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Independence_of_Brazil