Chapter 33

26th Oct, 2021

"...given the current market condition, Mr. Ibrahim, I am confident that we are bound to succeed with this partnership."

Shumail was in a business meeting with his foreign delegates, but just physically, his mind was somewhere else though.

"Mr. Ibrahim?"

It went unheard.

"Sir?" Shumail was nudged out of his thoughts by his secretary, who was seated behind him drafting the meeting minutes.

"I'm really sorry, Mr. Koji. I'm not feeling great at the moment. Can we perhaps talk about the rest of the conditions some other time?" Shumail raised his hand to untie the knot around his neck that was beginning to suffocate him.

"Everything alright, Mr. Ibrahim?" Mr. Koji questioned in a concerned voice.

"Oh yes, Mr. Koji. I guess I just need some rest."

"We can always discuss this later. Health comes first."

"Thank you so much for understanding, Mr. Koji. My secretary will contact you to reschedule the meeting soon." Shumail said.

"Sure. Will be waiting to discuss this through." Mr. Koji smiled and stretched his hand out for a shake. "I'll take your leave now."

Shumail shook hands with him and, once the delegates had left, he reclined in his chair, exhaling deeply. He slid open his shirt's collar button and buried his head in his palms, which was throbbing with pain.

"Sir, how are you doing? Should I get you a cup of strong coffee?" His secretary inquired.

"Please get me some painkillers." Shumail made a request.

"Sure. Right away." His secretary exited the meeting room, leaving him alone. Shumail slid the papers aside and rested his head on his hands, which he folded on the round table in front of him. He closed his eyes shut and tried to take a nap.

A face appeared in front of his eyes, causing him to squeeze his eyes even tighter.

'Eram.'

Eram was gone. It had been 6 months that she was gone and Shumail had done everything in his power to locate her, but he had been unsuccessful. He went to her old house to look for her, but he couldn't find her there. He had attempted but failed to obtain any information from Zain's school.

He was furious with her, and everything he did reflected that fury, but knowing her side of the story, he thought he went too far.

He was trying to deny that she was hurting, but after reading those letters, he realised how much grief he had caused her. He blamed himself for making such a stupid mistake.

He spent every day hoping to find her, but all of his efforts were in vain. It seemed like a punishment and he knew he deserved it,

Shumail's eyes fluttered open and again closed, as if in utmost pain.

It was true though.

He was in pain. His heart was in pain.

He heard the door open and footsteps, which he assumed were his secretary's, enter.

"Mr. Ibrahim," The voice caused him to open his eyes and glance at the person who owned it, which definitely didn't belong to his secretary.

"Mr. Paul," When Shumail saw the man in front of him, he instantly stood up. "Is there any information?"

"I may say I have a glimmer of hope." The man responded.

"Were you able to track her down? What happened to her? Is she in good health? What about Zain? What about her injury? Is she now able to walk?" Shumail peppered the man with questions.