Chapter 10: Ryonan

Start from the beginning

Getting caught in 4k, Sakuragi bursted in anger and his loud voice filled the cart, "AHHHH?! What did you say, Rukawa?!"

"Trying to cover up your nervousness by being loud?" Rukawa pointed to Sakuragi's face with an irritated expression.

"Say it again!!" 

I jolted from the intensity and tried to calm things down, "S-Sakuragi, that's enough!" 

"Ahahahahahahaha! Everyone is nervous their first time!" I quickly glanced to Ayako who was laughing at the two boys and Sakuragi stopped and sat back to his seat, "Hmph! Of course, idiots with only junior high level skills like you, Rukawa, wouldn't understand! Whoever controls the rebounds, controls the game!" 

I was surprised to hear this statement by Sakuragi, I did get some news by Kogure that Sakuragi was spending his night practicing rebounds, and was taught all by captain himself. "What a cool sentence, Sakuragi! You better show that in the match, ya hear?" 

"No matter what!! I'll defeat Sendoh!!" Sakuragi enthusiastically with his fist clenching in the air. "Ah?! You also know of Ryonan's ace, Sendoh? Even Uozumi..!!" Ayako was baffled when she heard those names from Sakuragi's mouth, I however, have no idea who they were and never heard of them til now, "Sendoh? Ace...?"

*DING* RYONAN STATION AHEAD *DING*

We arrived at Ryonan High, the smell of the sea tingled my nose as the waters sparkled from the sun's light above. I looked at the sea that was just near the school gym and just adored nature's scenery, "So beautiful~ I didn't know Ryonan was just near the sea, so envious!" Just the thought of just diving to the cool water tingled my skin. 

"Genji-chan, let's go." Ayako patted my shoulder and I nodded to her direction, "Yes!" 

Nervousness overwhelmed me when we got inside the school's gym, Ryonan's players were practicing and warming up before turning their heads to our side hearing the loud roar from our captain, Akagi, "Good morning!"

"They're  here...!! It's Shohoku!!"

"Is that Akagi? He is really tall!"

"It's Rukawa.."

"Hey! Who's that guy with the red hair?! He's also a member of the basketball team?" 

Ryonan students' began to chatter as they eyed everyone especially Akagi-san, he really does give off an intimidating aura. A loud laughter turned my attention to Sakuragi who was now big headed as usual, "I'm going to defeat Sendoh!!"

The crowd felt uneasy especially the Ryonan team, how could Sakuragi say such a thing so lightly? Does he even have any manners? He took a hit on the head from Akagi who scolded from his bad behavior.

"Sakuragi-senpai!" A first year student from Ryonan's team came near to Sakuragi, it seems like they've met before without the team's knowledge since they were also bewildered as I am. 

"Anzai-sensei!! I'm really sorry you had to travel all this way!!" A middle aged man approached our coach with worry, he ordered the first year to get a chair but then scolded the boy saying the chair isn't "wide enough."

"We should have visited you in the first place!! Now that Anzai-sensei has come here, I really don't know what to say!" The man rattling around was actually Ryonan's coach, Taoka-sensei.

Akagi greeted the coach and shook hands with him, "Ah! Akagi-kun!! Nice to finally meet you! Our Uozumi has been training hard just to defeat you. Please work him hard."

Uozumi was written at a tall athlete's back, I widened my eyes seeing his height, he was even taller than Akagi-san. The two faced each other and Akagi lift his hand to offer a handshake, however Uozumi ignored his offer and whispered something to him instead, "I will win!" 

I felt excitement when I heard Uozumi-san's words, but I know for a fact that Shohoku will not waver from that statement, "This is gonna be an interesting match, Ayako-san."