Chapter 14

Chapter 14: Near end 1869

On November 22nd of 1869, 5 days after the inauguration, Raoul was holding a newspaper of the opening of the Suez Canal and how their empress attended the ceremony. Francis was by his side watching his reactions as he read the information. Judging by the concerned expression on his face, Raoul thought that he must be wearing one of the ugliest expressions on his face.

" Master Raoul, isn't the news a happy occasion? "

Raoul glance at Francis for a moment before answering.

" It depends on someone. "

He answered vaguely as he stared once again at the newspaper that was held by his hand. Raoul tried to relax his body on the chair, but thinking of this new information, he just can't afford to lower the tension of his body. He knows the significance of this information. It was the last thing that he remembered this year before it would become 1870.

" If I may presume, Master Raoul, you aren't glad about the inauguration of the Canal? "

" No, I am not in the state to be happy of the opening of the Suez Canal. Even it was considered a Major Achievement for many people. "

Raoul said as he tried to hide any bare hint of disgust and disdain from his voice. He wasn't happy with the news. For symbolism reasons and that it was the last information that he knows in the year 1869. Just one more month and a few days, it would be the end of the year and it would officially enter the year 1870.

Raoul felt that the time was too short. That he wasn't prepared for what was coming next year. It would be horrible. He was certain. While he was wallowing in his thoughts, he felt a pat on his shoulder. He glances at Francis.

" Would you like me to ask the chefs in the house to prepare desserts for you, Master Raoul? "

He says with a voice filled with concern. After a moment, he answered.

" Please, do so. "

The hand on his shoulder tightened for a moment.

" Anything else, Master Raoul? "

" Could you ask for a cup of warm chocolate for the Chefs? "

A smile was revealed slightly on Francis.

" If you want, I could ask a kettle worth of hot chocolate for you, Master Raoul. "

Raoul smiled at those words. He can feel his mood slightly elevating.

" No need to bother the chefs with a kettle amount of hot chocolate, I just need a cup to calm my nerves. "

Francis didn't even raise an eyebrow another strange word or phrase that left his mouth. On serving Raoul, he got used to his eccentricities. The other servants of the Soubise Mansion also got slowly used to him.

Raoul watched as Francis left his room to fetch some desserts and hot chocolate for him. He glance at his room that was filled with bookshelves and brimming with portraits of certain people on the wall. The walls of his room weren't just filled with portraits of those people, but it was also brimming with framed papers or articles with signatures.

As he looks at them, Raoul can feel himself relaxing slightly. The time feels too short, but he has still the time to make preparations. He would try and make an effort. Even if that effort would be useless in the end, he would still do something.

Leaving his seat, Raoul went to the corner of his room and crouched. He opened the very discreet hidden compartment in his room and opened it. It was now time to put another check on his book and think of something for the next horrible year.