||Thirty||-›Presage

Start from the beginning

Hugh glanced at him, offering him a faint smile. “I am not fond of loud crowds. The distance lessens the issue.”

Julius looked at the men. They moved around with avidity, perfectly rowdy.

“I did not get the chance to properly thank you for yesterday. Thank you,” Julius said thoughtfully, walking to touch Hugh's shoulder in a grateful stance.

Hugh looked at the hand on his shoulder, a feeling warming his chest. “My pleasure.”

Hugh felt he would never be able to repay Julius for his brazen act at the opium den. Though much did not change after Julius had approached the men and had gotten himself beaten. The fact that he thought to defend him, made Hugh forever grateful. No one had ever done that for him.

“You do not have to feel obligated to keep me company,” Hugh said bashfully. Avoiding Julius gaze as he looked ahead.

“If I am keeping you company, it is because I want to, and not that I feel obligated to,” Julius easily assured, slowly taking his hand off Hugh's shoulder.

“I insist that you join your friends. I overheard Ferguson saying he wished to awaken you from your slumber. Preferably with iced water.”

“Of course he did,” Julius shook his head at that, smiling despite himself. “What stopped him?”

“Rebekah told him not to dare participate in such inanities,” Hugh distantly recalled, fingering the holes in the wall.

“God bless her soul,” Julius smiled. “Are you sure you want me to join them? I do not mind the quiet.”

Hugh simply nodded.

Julius knew better than to push the topic any further. Hugh was a timid man, he did not want to scare him off with many conversations.

☘︎

Julius joined Rebekah on a bench.

She glanced at him with a quizzical smile “Morning.”

“Morning, m'lady,” he teased and her smile grew.

As soon as he took his seat, Ferguson came from behind and gripped him by the scruff of his neck. “Look who finally decided to grace us with his presence,” Ferguson exclaimed, unnecessarily blithe.

Julius winced and flinched away from the touch. “Morning to you too, my dear oafish friend,” Julius teased, and Rebekah giggled.

“Now now, do not fly into a bate so soon now,” Ferguson teased back, taking his seat beside the two.

Ferguson took a cigarette packet from his pocket, striking a match and lighting the cigarette. He took a long drag of it and offered the cigar to Rebekah afterwards. She declined, feeling it was too early for a smoke. Julius on the other hand accepted it once he was offered.

They watched the wrestling match before them. It was a match between two burly men. The taller man of the two wrapped both arms around the other's leg, pushing his head into his opponent's chest.

“How are they not exhausted from yesterday,” Julius marvelled, smoke puffing from his lips.

“Maybe if they had gotten a chance to dance with lady Alice as well, they would be,” teased Ferguson, complacent.