𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐏𝐀𝐒𝐓

"CLEMENTINES are sour, but so are my feelings when I have to look at your face." 

"NO

"NO."  Enka answered immediately as soon as Ren had finished. "I will not marry a boy three years younger than me. He is only 12 goddamn years old." 

Ren snarled from where she sat in front of the Sohma Family banner. "Do not speak to me that way, girl, you forget your place." 

"No, you forget yours. I am the guardian of God, not his wife. You, on the other hand, are simply the wife of a normal human, who happens to be the head of this family. You have no power here." Enka sneered. She knew Akito was listening from behind the paper screen doors. "You are blinded by your obsession of Akira loving you, so blinded that you think your son is taking his attention away from you. He is but a boy, who wants his mother and father to love him." 

Ren paused, taking in the girl's words. "Elaborate." 

"Your husband does love you. Don't you see? He tolerates your abuse of Akito because he loves you, because he wants to assuage your anger. Yet still you continue to lash out while twisting yourself in further, further into your imaginary problems." Enka stood up.

"You go as far to speak to me about being a mother to that boy. So why do you refuse to marry him? You would be the wife of the successor."

"Are you kidding me? Why would I want a husband at 15? I haven't even finished high school yet."

From behind the door, Akito stiffened. He was the one who had chosen Enka as his future wife...yet she was refusing him.

"...Anyway, if you continue to behave this way, it'll be problematic for the rest of us. So lessen your cruelty won't you? If that kid grows up to become a tyrant, or even worse, like you, we're all going to become traumatized kids."

---

That was exactly what happened. 

8 years later, Enka was a 23 year old who was still caged in within the Sohma Family, Akito had become a full fledged version of his mother, (except his obsession laid with Enka) and the rest of the Zodiacs were depressed, traumatized kids and adults. 

Enka sat on the windowsill of Akito's room, as the boy-soon to be man, it was his birthday soon--sat in front of his desk, doing paperwork. 

"What are you thinking about?" 

When the woman looked up, Akito was right in front of her, the top layer of his kimono hanging loosely off his shoulder. 

"Just the past." Enka answered curtly, waving her hand. 

"Oh?" Akito said, coming closer until he was practically straddling the woman. "Pull me closer." 

Enka refused to look at him, instead choosing to gaze out at the zen garden, envying the freedom of the birds. 

"Are you still angry about yesterday?" Akito sat on Enka's lap and put his arms around her neck, leaning his face onto her shoulder. 

At the female's silence, the younger gritted his teeth in frustration. "Answer me, goddamnit!" 

"As I thought, you are still just a boy." Enka finally spoke, putting her chin on her hand in mock boredom, still gazing out the window. "Throwing a tantrum when he doesn't get what he wants. That's why I didn't want to marry you. So tiresome." 

Akito gripped Enka tighter. "I am a man now! In a few days I'll be twenty! I am NOT a boy." 

"Of course the child would say that. So childish." 

"I'm not. I'm not! I-I-I'm not..." Akito's eyes started to tear, and he shoved his face into the woman's chest. 

Enka finally put her arms around his waist, sighing. "And then you cry again..." 

"You'll give me what I want if I start to cry." Akito mumbled, sniffling. 

"..." How confusing it was, this daily occurrence of arguing, fighting sometimes physically, and then intimately interacting the next day. It made her numb. If this was what love meant, then it was another cage, as oppressive as the Sohma Family. 

I wonder if Hatori felt the same...