40. Orange Cranberry Scones

Just like every other Saturday over the last several weeks, Eloise found herself browsing the newly delivered books in Flourish & Blotts. She was there frequently enough that she began thinking she may have memorized the layout of the shop better than even some of the employees.

As she waited for Maxwell to finish up his shift so that they could spend the afternoon together before she needed to return home to pack, she remembered she still needed to get Charlie's birthday present. It was quite out of character for her to wait until the last possible minute to purchase a gift for someone - his birthday was the following day after all. But to be honest, Eloise had been spending almost all of her free time thinking about Maxwell, and occasionally George.

Eventually Maxwell emerged from the back of the store and spotted Eloise as she quickly turned to make her way down a nearby aisle towards the section on dragons. With his hands in his pockets, he followed her path and found her scanning the shelf until she found the exact book she was looking for.

"Thinking of your dragon friend again?" he asked, eyeing the book in her hands.

"It's his birthday tomorrow." she nodded as she walked past him with a smile to make her way back to the counter.

One of Maxwell's coworkers she remembered to be named Stella rang her up with a smile. Most of the employees of Flourish & Blotts were on a first name basis with Eloise now with how frequently she dropped in.

"So, you have a friend who used to work with dragons and a friend who used to be a curse-breaker?" he asked, leaning against the counter as she dug through her purse to retrieve enough coins to pay for the book.

"Would you believe me if I told you they're brothers?" she laughed as she handed Stella a small stack of Galleons.

"Actually, yes." he smiled when she turned to him, now holding a dark teal shopping bag in her hand.

Maxwell draped his arm over her shoulder as the two of them left the shop. The cobblestone path on Diagon Alley was completely hidden beneath a thick white blanket of snow. She could tell Max didn't seem overly thrilled with the winter weather that had seemed unrelenting over the last week, but Eloise loved it.

"So, what do you want to do today?" he asked as they aimlessly walked down the sidewalk.

Eloise's first thought was to get coffee, but they'd done that nearly every time they hung out. As much as she liked routine, she didn't want their outings to become boring and monotonous. Sometimes something safe and familiar was best. This time though, she wanted to let Max decide what they did that day.

"We can do whatever you want."

"Oh, giving me the power today?" he chuckled.

"Use it wisely."

Maxwell fell silent for a few moments, glancing into nearby stores and cafes, weighing all of his options. But as they reached the end of the street and Maxwell still hadn't made a decision, Eloise began to worry.

The hauntingly familiar facade of Weasleys' Wizard Wheezes was coming closer into view and Eloise got the sinking feeling that building may be Maxwell's final destination. The large animatronic version of George tipping his hat felt like it was taunting her specifically as they approached it.

"Have you ever been in there?" Maxwell asked as he pointed towards the shop.

"A few times."

"I actually haven't. Can you believe that? I went to school with the owner, even shared a few classes with his older brother in school. But I've never been inside."