Ryan's First Assignment

48

The week was a blur. Declan had made the declaration to Ryan that, indeed, the teenager was to be implemented as a field agent by Friday.  Ryan was nervous, to say the least.  Now, he'd be dealing with real bad guys.

Of course, TALONS' mode of operation was to lurk in the shadows, out of sight from villains.  Somehow, Ryan had a feeling, he didn't know where this premonition came from, but he knew he'd come face to face with bad guys.  Maybe, the fact that he was so green bolstered that sensation.  Or maybe it was the episode at the Prism, where Scam Likely unveiled a government plot to steal his Flash Fuel weapon. 

Shandra's brief, but very revealing and, quite frankly, disturbing briefing cemented Ryan's induction as telepathic agent: code name Psycho. 

The room was absent of Phong, who was penetrating the mainframe of SCARE.  He was searching their data bases for any remnants of Flash Fuel.  So far, his efforts went unrewarded.

As Ryan and Mai sat down, the briefing began without pleasantries.

"Lotus"  Shandra's eyes fell on Mai.  Shandra's demeanor had changed from the boisterous girl at the party to one of seriousness.  Her firm brown eyes found Ryan's and, despite her rigid posture, the hint of a smile altered the corner of her lip.  "Psycho".

Without delay, as Declan stood poised in a back corner, Shandra tore into the new information with pragmatism and professionalism.  "This is subject number 1"  She announced.

The giant screen behind Shandra displayed a man that immediately sent Ryan's heart pounding.  "Whoa!" Ryan let out the words in a panic,  "That's Louie Reghetti. I've taken something from him once.  That guy knows who I am."

"Yes, I know,"  Shandra's level reply was not reassuring, "But it was dark, and it was about a month ago.  This guy,"  Shandra paused as she directed her arm towards gigantic screen, "He's not going to remember you."

"But if he does..."

Shandra shrugged dully, "He'll try to kill you."

Declan interjected.  "You will be placed strategically in the restaurant you're visiting.  Don't worry Ryan, you'll be fine."

Shandra tried to hide her irritation as she continued. Apparently she preferred full control when briefing agents. "This is subject number two.  Al saad Sharif."

Mai interrupted, "They're selling to a middle eastern nation?"

"No, it's a terrorist organization on Iranian soil, of course they believe that the US is enemy number one."

Ryan swallowed hard.  "They'll use the Weapon on the U.S. then."

Shandra nodded.  "Precisely, that's why we have to stop them."

"Get a good look at their faces."  Shandra turned towards the screen, as it now displayed Louie on the right and Al Saad on the left.  These are the two you will be monitoring. I will also send digital photos to your phones- so you can be sure you're monitoring the correct subjects."

Ryan responded, attempting to match Shandra's professionalism, "Shouldn't be a problem, they stick out like a sore thumb.  Where's the meeting spot?"

"Look at the table."  Shandra flicked her index finger towards the LED table.  There, on the table's LED screen, was a picture of an iconic restaurant.  A sculpture of a guitar shot towards the sky with a city skyline behind it.  In neon lights, the guitar proclaimed the 'Hard Rock Cafe'.

'Cool!"  Ryan said.

"Remember, you're not there for pleasure."  Shandra scolded.

"Right."

"This particular Restaurant is in Chicago.  The meeting should happen at 6:00 pm, you'll wait outside Portillo's, which is another restaurant with a small patio.  Portillo's sits across from the Hard Rock Cafe, so you can view the two subjects entering the meeting place.  That way, you won't cause suspicion among the Hard Rock's waitstaff.  We want you in place by 4:30, in case they decide to show early.  You never know. 

The objective is to find out where the drop off point is.  It should be someplace in the city. They are definitely afraid of interference this time.  So, we're going to have to be careful.

If the window for the SD Card's extraction is too narrow.  You'll have to retrieve the files yourself.  The files, or SD card, are code named 'Get Rich Quick Scheme.'

Any questions?"

"When do I get my badge?"  Ryan asked with enthusiasm.

Shandra recoiled.  Based on her expression, his question was like asking the color of the sky,  "Badge?  You don't get a badge."

"When I first met Declan, they had badges."

Declan laughed. "Ahh yes, Chloe and I picked those up at Wal-Mart in the toy department.  We figured it would be the only way we could talk to you in private at the hospital."

"Yeah,"  Shandra eyed Ryan as if he should have figured that out before.  "We are an organization that thrives on anonymity.  The world, most of the government and not even our friends know we exist.  If we had badges, that would give us away."

"How am I going to get there?"  Ryan said.

Shandra answered, "you do have TALONS transportation."  Shandra studied Ryan.  "What's the matter?"

Ryan thought of skiing, as he knew Damon still wasn't finished with his car.  Damon promised it would be done tonight.  However, he had promised, during the past three nights, that it would be finished the next day.  Ryan hoped it was.  He flashed his white teeth unconvincingly,  "Nothing.  We're taking mine?"

"Yes, typically the male partner drives.  It does give off the proper dating etiquette."

"Okay."

As Mai asked the next question, Ryan's stomach twisted with a feeling of inadequacy.  "Will they be speaking English or Persian?"

"Fortunately it will be in English.  However, we don't have a Middle East translator to relay Al Saad's thoughts."  Shandra answered, as Ryan realized how green he was.  Obviously, Louie Reghetti knew more than one language.  Ryan chided himself for not thinking of that.

Shandra paused after answering, with a composed face she waited for any other questions.  "If you two have nothing else, you're dismissed for the day. Go home, get rest, do nothing physically or mentally demanding.  We need clear heads.  Arrange when you'll leave with each other.  Try to arrive at Portillos at 4:10, we need you in place at 4:30."

She slid a credit card and IDs across the image of the Hard Rock Cafe.  " Keep these ID's on you at all times, it's very important that you use your alias."  Shandra turned towards Mai, "Your alias is Lisa Chen." She then eyed Ryan, "And you're Caleb Revere.  The credit card has a spending limit of $1000 dollars.  It should be plenty to take care of the day's expenses.  Good luck you two."

Ryan swallowed hard and looked at Mai Lee who revealed an absolutely beautiful smile that made her cheeks dimple.  Ryan felt just the opposite.  He was nervous as hell. 

He remembered Louie Reghetti's promise.  He also remembered the storm, both the winds and lightning.  The New Yorker's accent had played so steadily over the racket, as if from a superhuman being, "You'll pay for this kid."