↳ 💛 𝑩𝒖𝒓𝒏

(699 words :) )
(He/him pronouns)

{《☆》}

You stare at your door, running a hand down the carved spruce wood. You had spent hours carving it, carving a family of foxes into it. Three of them. One, the largest, watching down on the second and third as the poets guitar lay by its feet. The little foxes play, rough housing with one another. You close your eyes and turn away.

He's there. He watches you with a lopsided smile when you open your eyes again, lips twisted at the edges in that dissimilar way you hated and loved. He is a dillusional phantom of your father, one who watches with the same burning eyes. "Are you really going to burn it down? Your legacy gone, just like that?"

It's like the world watches with bated breath for your answer, a quiet ringing in your ears as he just stand there. You curl your fingers into fists around your flint & steel, breathing in deeply. The air feels like fire in your lungs, weighing you down. "You know better than anyone I never cared about my legacy."

He laughs, a hand on your shoulder in a phantom grip of a proud hold. "The only thing you ever cared about was him." He agreed, his hand falling back to his side. "You'll do what it takes to keep him safe."

"He told me once," You start, a quivering thing in your voice that you hate with more than yourself. Your delusion stands next to you, tilting his head and leaning back against your porch railing. "He called you an Icarus. You flew too close to the sun."

He hums thoughtfully, "I was obsessed with my legacy. I didn't care what I had to do to keep it intact." Quieter, he admits words that only your hallucination will ever admit to you. "I didn't care if I lost you to keep my legacy."

"Your sentences bordered on senseless." You say, knuckles white as you hold the flint. A part of you is ready to get it over with, to rid the world of your reaction. "You were so paranoid, every time I saw you. Driving yourself insane faster than anyone could help."

"You and him were the only thing keeping me sane for a while. After I lost you, I lost it all. And then I lost myself." He admits. If this were real, you think you'd burst into tears. But it isn't, it's what you want to hear. You think you hate it more than hearing anything else. "I was scared of how they'd perceive me."

"Now I'm burning my house down." Its the hard truth. The reality of your actions slamming into you suddenly, like they were just thought before you spoke them into existence. It's funny, in a twisted way. "Let the world wonder how Y/N reacted when you broke his heart. I deserve to keep that to myself. You– the world doesn't deserves to know... It doesn't."

"Are you trying to tell me or convince me?" He laughs, brushing past you. He rests his palm on the door, brushing a gentle thumb over the guarding fox. "Go on then. Burn it down. Burn down our memories."

"I will." You say, stepping closer. The door is locked shut, photos and letters arranged in boxes in your room never to be seen again. Burning all the letters that might've redeemed him. The photos of who he was before, a father, a brother, a poet. "I will."

"Take the final step, Y/N," Wilbur chuckles, standing right by your side as your trembling hand lingers so close to drenched wood. "Burn the world down, my little soldier."

The fire catches quickly. Right in front of your eyes the family of foxes wilts and blackened flames scar any remnants of your work. With an echoing chuckle, your father fades from view and leaves nothing but soot on your face and a fire burning in front of your eyes.

"I hope that you burn." You whispher through a choked fog. Your house burn quickly and the smoke clogs up your lungs. You laugh as snot runs down your face and tears well up in your eyes.

And you burned too.

{《☆》}

[i listened to burn from Hamilton and couldn't help myself ahsjsjk
Also I wrote this twice because the first time I wrote it in discord and then my phone died and I lost it all :(]

[I'm currently working on like 6 other wips I really shouldn't have written this adkshjk I'm now writing mostly on paper because I'm traveling rn (which sucksss)]

[L0v3, k1ng]