One

Around me leaves of numerous colors softly floated towards the ground. Small puddles litter the ground from last nights rain.
The air carried an icy chill, as I walked slowly past the building I had come to love. I smile softly as my head fills with memories of what it had been like working at SPR.
Pain stabbed my chest taking my breath away momentarily. I had to pause for a moment from the pain. I missed the danger of the job. As well as everyone who we worked with, Naru, John, Masako, Ayako, Lin, and even occasionally Yasu. In turn my mind pictures each of their faces.
I sigh, looking down, we went through so much together and now, we haven't even spoken for a year. All of my friends are gone.
It's all because Naru had to leave. His face pops into my head again, smiling. I shake my head that couldn't have been Naru, it was his brother Gene. My mind corrects itself with a picture of Naru frowning as he normally did. I had hated to see his frown,
But I still came to love him, regardless of his Narcissistic and stern behavior, the real Naru.
I step forward, my heart now heavy, and my foot lands directly in a cold wet puddle. I let out a small shocked shriek.
"Great. What a perfect way to start my day." I mutter, stepping back, my shoe now sopping wet. In distain and irritation I glare at the puddle.
The water was still rippling from my foot, but as I look closer into the puddle I can see the small apartment building where SPR had been, and the door was wide open.
My eyes open wide. Was someone breaking into SPR!? Ignoring my doused shoe, I run towards the familiar steps. Panic and anger flew through me, like lava to my limbs.
I sprint as quickly as I can towards the ajar door. As I rush in a strangled cry escapes my throat.
"Hey! You get out of-" My voice cuts off. I stare directly at the man sitting in the chair. His eyes looked worn as he registered my presence.
"Mai?" My heart skips a beat, could this be happening? His face held a small amount of stubble, making him look rugged. His shoulders sagged slightly.
I feel my head grow light, if he's here then... Where's...? My thoughts were beginning to jumble in my head. I open my mouth to speak, but find myself falling instead.
"Mai!" I hit the ground as he says my name again. I stare up at him my head swirling.
"Where's...Naru.... Lin?" I manage to gasp. His eyes flare with panic as my consciousness falls away to the darkness taking everything with it.