Chapter 12: Battle For the Artefacts

Hiei looked down at the group crowded around Keiko, thoroughly entertained. "I'm glad you're so enthused. The game will be more exciting this way,"

"What game?" Yusuke demanded.

"The hilt of this sword is hollow," Hiei presented the Shadow Sword. "Contained inside is the only antidote to stop the sword's effect. If you get the sword, the girl will live. Fun right? Think of it as a little game of tag!"

Suddenly, Hiei gasped. He'd been so caught up in his monologuing, he hadn't noticed Yusuke jump up to his level.

The boy planted his fist in the side of his enemy's face and sent him flying backwards. Hiei flipped over in mid air and landed in a crouching position.

"Faster than I thought," he muttered. "What happened, Spirit Detective? You weren't that fast before,"

"This isn't a game, dirtface," Yusuke growled. "Keiko is my friend,"

"Now I see," Hiei replied. "You're a decent fighter on your own, but when your friend is on the line, your strength increases greatly. A pity the same can't be said for your sister,"

"You should have left my sister out of this," Yusuke snarled. "You'll be sorry you ever laid a hand on her,"

"She has no-one to blame but herself," Hiei shrugged with a leer. "Look at her, cowering in the corner, too afraid of me to move. You on the other hand, you're a team player. A save-the-day superhero. I hate people like you!"

Sakura finally found her voice. "Is that what you think, short stack? You think I'm scared of you?"

Hiei looked over in indignation. "Don't think I'm finished with you yet, girl,"

He turned back to Yusuke. "And yes, Spirit Detective, I'll admit you surprised me. But like a true amateur, you failed to take advantage of the situation. You didn't get back the sword, a mistake that will prove fatal. Because now that I know it, I won't be dropping my guard any longer. The world doesn't give many chances. You just missed yours,"

Yusuke smirked. "Are you done yapping yet?"

"Not quite!"

Hiei's Jagan eye glowed a traffic-stopping red. He began disappearing and reappearing in all corners of the room, his evil laughter only adding to the confusion. Sakura watched Yusuke's eyes darting around. How was he ever going to beat an opponent this agile?

"Can you keep up?" Hiei taunted. "Human eyes are so slow. Come now, where am I?"

Left, right, he was faster than Sakura would have believed possible.

"What's wrong? Do I confuse you?" Hiei appeared behind Yusuke, sword raised. "Do I?!"

Yusuke calmly turned around at the last second and delivered a blow that knocked Hiei backwards and smashed him right through a crate.

Hiei hauled himself out of the wreckage. "Now you're dead," he hissed.

"See Hiei?" Yusuke called from his high position. "That's what I'm talking about. Yap, yap, yap, like you're some crappy pro-wrestler. And then what happens? You have to eat up all your words. It's pretty dumb,"

Hiei glared and threw off his robe. "Consider this a compliment. I've never transformed for a human,"

He concentrated and began to glow with energy. His skin turned a sickly green and the Jagan eye radiated a shockingly scarlet colour. Sakura, barely able to stand, looked over at Botan and Keiko.

Botan cried out and pulled her hands back as though they'd been burned. The eye on Keiko's head billowed smoke and forced open further.

"The monster inside her must be feeding off Hiei's energy. I don't think I can fight it much longer," Botan cried. She gritted her teeth and surged more of her own energy at the Jagan. Tiny slashes appeared on her hands. Botan winced in pain, but didn't give up.