viii. the gang goes hog-wild

Start from the beginning

"Nice rat," Bianca complimented after a brief lull in the conversation.

"So...how do you like being a Hunter so far?" Percy asked.

Bianca hesitated. "You're not still mad at me for joining, are you?"

"Nah," Percy replied. "Long as, you know...you're happy."

"I'm not sure 'happy' is the right word, with Lady Artemis gone," Bianca admitted. "But being a Hunter is definitely cool. I feel calmer somehow. Everything seems to have slowed down around me. I guess that's the immortality."

Andi wanted to scream. She remembered this part in the book, where Percy had this realization that Bianca could outlive him and never age a day, but she never got the chance. She was twelve years old, and she was going to die very soon, and Andi had no idea if it was even possible to stop it. And if Bianca didn't die in the junkyard, who would in her place? Andi? But then Cass would be alone here in this world that was not their own, and vice versa if Cass were to take Bianca's place. They were going to have to stand by and watch a child die.

Behind her, Bianca and Percy had switched topics, him asking her about her past and her sharing what she could remember. Grover, Zoë, and Cass were just leaving the coffee shop, carrying six drinks and five pastries among the three of them. Andi watched them and prayed they would hurry the fuck up before she lost her shit. She could feel herself slipping into the throes of a panic attack. She needed her sister.

"That's why I wanted to join the Hunters so bad," Bianca was saying. "I mean, I know it's selfish, but I wanted my own life and friends. I love Nico — don't get me wrong — I just needed to find out what it would be like not to be a big sister twenty-four hours a day."

Andi locked eyes with Cass, and her sister seemed to realize what was happening because she started to jog toward them.

"Zoë seems to trust you," Percy noted. "What were you guys talking about, anyway — something dangerous about the quest?"

"When?" Bianca asked.

"Yesterday morning on the pavilion," he said without thinking. Andi winced. "Something about the General."

Bianca's frown was audible. "How did you...The invisibility hat. Were you eavesdropping?"

"No! I mean, not really. I just—"

Thankfully, Grover, Zoë, and Cass arrived just in time with refreshments. Andi shot to her feet and hurried to her sister's side as casually as possible. She didn't want the others to know anything was wrong. Cass handed her a medium black coffee and a brown bag with two muffins inside — one chocolate chip, and one double chocolate chip.

"You okay?" Cass murmured, searching Andi's face.

"She's going to die," Andi said, and then she took a massive bite of her muffin. It was fucking delicious. She stole a bite of Cass's muffin, which was also incredible, but turned down the offer to take a sip of Cass's green tea latte. Cass had a huge thing for teas. She got it from Dinah. Carol and Andi were the coffee drinkers of the household. Every morning, they'd brew a fresh pot of dark roast, and almost every night, Dinah and Cass would have some tea before bed.

Out of the corner of her eye, Andi saw Percy glance at them, and then his eyes widened and he started walking over to them. Andi's heart dropped into her stomach. Had he noticed how freaked out she was?

"I almost forgot," he said, pulling something out of his pocket. It was a small white envelope. "Cass, this is for you. From your dad."

Cass's eyes lit up and she rushed to hand her latte off to Andi so she could snatch the envelope out of Percy's hand. She practically ripped it open and nearly dropped the note inside trying to unfold it. Andi couldn't see what was written on it, but she could see the way Cass's face fell.