SIXTEEN: WARD

SHIELD ACADEMY 2006

          A slight cool, summer breeze filters through the open window that causes the hairs on the back of my bare arms to raise on their ends, and for the dew-like sweat that coats the back of my neck to freeze under the gentle gusts, which I welcome greatly. Though it is the beginning of autumn, the intense heat from the past summer has seeped over into this next season seamlessly, and it would be a while before the weather begins to take a cooler turn. The bright rays from the setting sun pour into the SHIELD dorm casting the room in shades of fiery oranges and dull yellows, though it thankfully doesn't reach the television on the other side of the room opposite from the window, leaving the flashing images on the screen untouched and easy for both myself and my roommate to see.

         "This is the codex- there is nothing in it that does not come to pass!"

          "Then you're reading it wrong-"

          "I wish to God I were! But it's very plain. Tomorrow night, Buffy will face the Master. And she will die."

          A loud gasp sounds from the bed on the other side of the dorm room as the screen turns black tears my attention from the television to see none other than Ava Quill sitting upright in her bed, lips parted and hazel green eyes round as she stares forward at the device. Sensing that she will need a moment to recover from this bombshell, I grab the remote and quickly pause the show before pulling myself upright into a sitting position on my single bed, turning so that I am sitting cross-legged and facing her.

          "I- huh- wait-" The redhead sputters, her head turning from me to the screen much like a spectator at a tennis match. "Hold the phone, what?"

          "A bit in shock, are we?"

          "Well, duh! I mean, it's Buffy- she can't die!" Ava exclaims, arms waving about her head. "And there's still six more seasons after this one so she's safe, right?"

          Not wanting to give anything away, I only offer her a sly and evil grin in response.

          Ava lets out a groan and throws herself backwards on the bed, which rocks under the movement. "Oh my God, you're literally killing me right now."

          "You're the one who hates the spoilers."

          "Not right now I don't!"

          I laugh, watching as Ava shakes her head and begins to rant about how she is tempted to just jump online and look the answers up herself. Standing upright, I briefly stretch my arms high above my head, letting out soft groans as the stiff limbs pop and relax at the movement. Once satisfied, I move to close the window, pausing to take in the sights of the grounds of the SHIELD academy before me. With the sun setting in the horizon, multiple students still dressed in their combat uniforms from the last few training classes of the day stroll through the grounds at a leisurely pace, moving back to their rooms or heading into town for dinner.

          It's only been two weeks since I first arrived here at the academy, and already I love it. My days are filled with combat training, weaponry analysis, statistics and marksman classes- to most people, it would sound harsh or boring but to me, it feels familiar; almost like home. Having been surrounded by top SHIELD agents for the entirety of my life and hearing little snippets of their work while I've been around them over the years, these things have almost become second nature. I was finally following in their footsteps and well and truly on my way to becoming a full-fledged SHIELD agent who is dedicated to the cause; to save and protect others.