6

Confessing the past
[Word count :  2001]

We were on our feet again, walking off further out into the unknown, Ackerman selfishly riding the horse once again as the sky was clear and bright blue. My ankle was still painful, but not as swelled so it was easier to walk on than before, the pain had decreased significantly after the hot springs the night before and resting it all evening too.

I looked towards Ackerman who seemed to be sweating with his cape on, mine was packed away in the tent to save me wearing it constantly while we were alone out here, I still had all my gear equipped unlike Ackerman who literally just had his uniform on, his swords close by though so he could easily attach it all.

Then the sky started to turn grey, for a moment I thought we had nearly reached dark but when Ackerman groaned I knew it was something like rain, he hated the rain, his performance in the field wasn't as good as mine because his mood would be ruined with such grouchy thoughts about the rain. I loved the rain, it cooled you down mid battle and cleaned off titan blood easier too so the smoke on you wouldn't get in your way as easily; so MY performance was always perfect in the rain, better than without it as slipping through the water was so much easier than through air in my opinion.

A few single drops onto my face and I knew I was in for a great walk home. Ackerman groaning about the rain telling me to catch up, and me enjoying every breath of it, the smell of the air was rainy and comforting.

Why was it now that I had to think of his smell. It smelled similar to the rain, but brighter, like the sun shining through a rain cloud to give hope to those below. Why was his smell stuck in the depths of my brain??

"We need to travel faster. Before the rain gets heavier." I stared at him blankly and he returned it, then he scoffed turning away. "You're soaked already. Where's your cape?" He asked complaining of course as I expected, "it's packed in storage with the tent." He groaned,
"Don't moan at me when you're soaking."
"I already am, it seems you're the only one complaining."

"Whatever, get on the horse I want to ride to the next checkpoint faster." I rolled my eyes and walked over to the horse, trying to get onto the back but he held my waist tightly and hoisted me up, putting me in front of him this time, his arms holding the reigns which surrounded my body holding me in close so I couldn't fall or escape.

As we were riding he let go and unbuttoned his cape, pulling me closer and re-buttoning it around my neck, his head resting on top of mine with his hood pulled up over his perfect hair. He was protecting me from the rain. "What are you doing?" I asked and noticed he gulped nervously, he took a moment to reply, "I don't want you getting a cold. Sneezing is one of my worst pet peeves and I don't need that added onto spending more time with the person I hate the most." He came up with an excuse, and it seemed reasonable for his own past excuses that he's used before, I smelled him again, being so close.. what is wrong with me? Why do I find comfort in it? Why don't I want this to hurry up so I can get away from him?

He was warm, his chest on my back was warming me up and making me feel safe, I was doing the opposite to him of course, making him feel uncomfortable in wet clothes but he didn't mind the sacrifice if it meant he didn't have to hear me complaining about getting a cold and sneezing all the time. He has a weird train of thought, being close to me to rid me of something that he hated was reasonable thinking, but the fact he wasn't picking on me when doing so is what was strange, did he think we were starting to get along?

We arrived and noticed no tree coverage or anything so all we had to protect our heads that night was the tents that were packed. I was deeply hoping there was a second one, I'd feel safer and I'd be able to unravel a bit if I had a place to be alone that wasn't so out in the open. Ackerman helped me down from the horse slowly; when he placed me on the ground he looked me up and down while holding my waist, noticing some of my gear wasn't so perfect so he fixed it in place quickly on my hip and then turned around towards the storage.