Chapter 42 - The Party

Start from the beginning

"Someone's fiesty", he teased. Leaning his arms against the counter.

"No I'm not I'm just not in the mood to deal with you". I swirled the wine in my cup, watching the ripples in made. This was more interesting than Alfie.

"You never are".

A group of boys erupted with laughter and cheers as someone had fallen over. I took a sip from my drink, I wasn't sober enough to deal with this.

"Whatever".

"There it is", he turned his body to face me. I stiffened as I felt his breath on my neck. I didn't like how it made my hair stand up on the back of my neck, it irritated me how much I wanted him to move closer.

"God Alfie just leave me alone", I spat.

He was silent for a moment, I knew this had hurt him but he would never act like that. "Fine if that's what you want, you don't need to be such a bitch".

"Rich coming from you", I sneered taking a light sip from my drink.

"What's that supposed to mean?" His body stiffen, had I offended him? Too bad.

"Who is she? So obsessed". I lowered the tone of my voice, impersonating him.

Again silence, like he was thinking what to say, probably trying to find a good enough excuse but there wasn't one. "Whatever". He stormed off, pushing through the crowd of freshman.

I don't understand why he wants to talk to me, maybe he just wants to further the narrative that I'm obsessed by making it seem like I actually want to talk to him. I threw my drink back, polishing off the rest of the wine. I wiped my mouth as some has dripped out the corners of my mouth. I was surrounded by people I didn't know, freshman who wanted to show off, girls who fawned after annoying boys just because they have an accent, matching dimples, freckles and have eyes that you could get lost in forever... I need to find Lydia. She wasn't downstairs, I'm sure she was upstairs making sure no one was spilling any drinks or 'fornicating'. Mason rushed past me on the stairs, I stepped aside letting him pass. When I reached the top of the stairs I saw one of the rooms doors was wide open, the room was a clinical shade of white, white walls, falls and furniture. I walked towards it to see Lydia knelt down on the white carpet right in front of her was a huge red stain.

"Shit, how did that happen?" I went over to her. She frantically was rubbing the stain.

"Someone left the drinks up here, so I picked them up and then that Mason kid was looking for Liam and I was pushing him out the room when they drinks fell out of my hands", her face was flustered as she ran her hands through her hair. She lifted her head up and I saw the mascaras stains that sat under her eyes.

"Lydia", I wiped away her tears.

"We put the house on the market. It was supposed to be left without a scratch. It has to be in perfect condition. We need every penny we can get out of this place", she opened up to me. I rubbed her hair and put her head towards mine. "Mason has gone downstairs to her some club soda and salt". She was freaking out, if I had realised this is why she didn't want a party I would've just turned everyone away.

"It's going to be okay Lydia we will figure it out". I said, the sound from outside blasting into the room. I got up to close it hoping the quiet will help Lydia relax. As soon as I did it muted the sound better than I thought it would. It was silent.

"Do that again", Lydia instructed. I pushed the handle down and pulled the door open. The music and sound of students cheering and chatting blared through the room but when I closed the door shut it disappeared instantly. Her eyes moved over to the record player that sat against the wall. I think she was having one of her moments and in my experience it's best to shut up. I let Lydia get on with it, she got up and walked over to the record player. She turned a switch and the vinyl started to play but it was only static sound, to me that was anyway. Lydia looked up at the white wall like she was seeing something.