Second Year Part Three

Start from the beginning

Millicent woke up the next morning with millions of blisters aross her body. Nova Black falsly denied all accusations made by her friends she was the one responsible.

The group watched as Snape offered Harry and Draco as volunteers to demonstrate the protection charm.

"Now, Harry," said Lockheart. "When Draco points his wand at you, you do this."

Lockheart dropped his wand.

Harry didn't pay much more attention to Lockheart. He already knew how to preform the shield charm. Nova had taught him upon his request for her to teach him more spells, knowing she had extensive knowledge in defense.

"Scared?" Malfoy smirked.

"You wish," Harry countered.

"Just do what I did, Harry!" Lockheart advised.

"What, drop my wand?"

James, Sirius, Ron, and everyone else had lost it at Harry's remark. Despite no one in the memory hearing him.

The group watched as Draco conjured a snake. They watched as Harry began to speak to it. They watched as it looked almost like he was setting it on Justin, a hufflepuff.

They watched as Ron steered Harry from the hall, Hermione and Nova not far behind. People parted for them in fright.

"We're outrageously attractive! We get it! No need to stare!" Nova shouted to them as they left. "Merlin! The audacity."

When they arrived back at the Common Room, Ron shoved Harry into one of the chairs.

"You're a Parselmouth. Why didn't you tell us?"

"I'm a what?"

"A Parselmouth!" said Ron. "You can talk to snakes!"

"I know," said Harry. "I mean, that's only the second time I've ever done it. I accidentally set a boa constrictor on my cousin Dudley at the zoo once - long story - but it was telling me it had never seen Brazil and I sort of set it free without meaning to that was before I knew I was a wizard -"

"A boa constrictor told you it had never seen Brazil?" Ron repeated faintly.

"So?" said Harry. "I bet loads of people here can do it."

"Oh, no they can't," said Ron. "It's not a very common gift. Harry, this is bad."

"What's bad?" said Harry, starting to feel quite angry. "What's wrong with everyone? Listen, if I hadn't told that snake not to attack Justin -"

"Oh, that's what you said to it?"

"What d'you mean? You were there - you heard me -"

"I heard you speaking Parseltongue," said Ron. "Snake language. You could have been saying anything - no wonder Justin panicked, you sounded like you were egging the snake on or something - it was creepy, you know -"

Harry gaped at him.

"I spoke a different language? But - I didn't realize - how can I speak a language without knowing I can speak it?"

Ron shook his head. Both he and Hermione were looking as though someone had died. Harry couldn't see what was so terrible.

Nova was leaning against the fire place, flipping her wand in her hand. She looked lost in thought.

"D'you want to tell me what's wrong with stopping a massive snake biting off Justin's head?" Harry said. "What does it matter how I did it as long as Justin doesn't have to join the Headless Hunt?"