Dangerous things

Depuis le début

Aizawa looks at the trees, the winds rustle the leaves with something akin to hesitation. The sun beats down on the asphalt, the hot beams make his eyes squint as he surveys the field. The students are scattered all around. Each one of them already working on improving their powers.

He watches with barely concealed fondness as Izuku is lead to a shaded spot under some of the foliage. Shinsou is already sitting there. Crossed legs folded underneath him as he looks up, hair swaying with the breeze. One would think he was taking a break and relaxing, but Aizawa knew better.

He could see it, even from here, the slight sheen of sweat that trickled down the boy's neck. A small indication of the strenuous mental task he was currently subjecting himself to. Mental quirks were never easy to train.

Izuku settles up next to him comfortably. Their interaction speaks of a deep friendship and a hint of something more. Aizawa wonders how the two met.

He hopes that the kid is happy.

He's about to walk away, maybe check on some of the student's progress. However, his endeavor is waylaid by the cat-themed hero that walks up to stand beside him.

Ragdoll's posture is stiff, nervous, as if she wants to say something but doesn't know what to say.

"I'm sorry about your kid Eraser." She says finally, her tone carrying a gloomy lilt to it. Her gaze is directed at the two teens he, himself was watching just a moment ago, her eyes shine with unspoken pity and sadness. It confuses him immensely, dread dropping in his stomach, heavy and crushing. He didn't think Ragdoll of all people would be this close-minded. "I- I can see his weaknesses..."

"Don't be. His blindness doesn't define him, it isn't something to be sorry for." He states this with a tone he never thought he would direct at a hero. Izuku is strong, one of the strongest kids he knew. The teen was inspiring, he didn't need anyone's pity.

"You misunderstand." She replies simply, her voice makes it sound as if she would rather be wrong. "His weakness... It's- it's not his eyes." At his confused stare, she continues. Her next words shake him to his very core. "It's everything else."

______________________

"Are you alright?" Shinsou asks upon Izuku's arrival, voice tight with concern. "Bakugou and Todoroki told me about last night. If you need to stay in bed today, I'm sure Aizawa won't mind. We can just tell him that you're coming down with something."

"Don't worry so much Shinsou, I'm fine, honestly. The- the episodes are intense but they don't last long. My meds worked just fine. I feel pretty well-rested." He assures, warmth spreading in his chest at Shinsou's clear concern.

"Good, that's good. But still-"

"I'll let you know if something changes." He interrupts, knowing the teen all too well.

"Promise?" Adorable, Izuku thinks, until his own thoughts catch up to him, making his face heat up.

"I-I promise." Wanting to distract the boy, he asks the first question that comes to mind. "So, what's with the sunbathing, aren't you supposed to be training right now?" He jabs playfully, wanting to get a rise out of the brainwasher.

"Sunbathing! For your information I'm in the middle of some seriously intense training" Shinsou cries out indignantly, fist coming up to hit him in the shoulders, no real strengths behind it. His voice takes a different tone a moment later, his determination and seriousness becoming apparent as he speaks. "My quirk, it works as some sort of net, if you want. I cast a net and I sort of, trap someone within it the moment they set it off. Except that Aizawa suggested I try and strengthen my mental image, try and set off the trap without someone's response being the catalyst. Although that last part is probably wishful thinking."