The young man's somber face brightened with a smile of good humor. "Well, that sounds like somebody to me," he said with a quiet laugh. "You cannot be nobody when, lo and behold, you stand here before me."

"But, you know..." the boy explained bashfully, "I ain't nobody important. Not like you."

"What makes me more important than you?" Arthur asked.

"'Cause ain't you a gen'elman wiv lots o' money?" the little boy asked.

"I suppose I am. But that doesn't make me important. People always value the rich above the poor, but nature makes no difference between them. We are all born just the same with hearts that beat and minds that think." His voice grew thoughtful and sad again as he carried on, speaking more to himself than to Timothy. "We all require the same elements to sustain life, and we all yearn for the same, unattainable thing."

"What's that?" Timothy asked.

The doctor paused. His eyes showed a glimpse into his heart for a moment. It was a broken, hopeless, restless heart.

"Peace," he finally answered.

"Oh, I like peace!" Tim said, smiling. "It makes me 'appy! Whenever I'm feelin' glum, all I gotta do is fink about me Lord Jesus, an' he gives me all kinds o' peace. I fink if I'd remembered t' fink of 'im last night, I mightn't have been so scared. But I fink he gave me peace anyhow 'cause he sent you to 'elp me!"

A moment of silence fell in the room, and Arthur gazed at the little boy in curious wonder.

"Don't you fink it's nice when Jesus gives us peace, sir?" Tim asked cheerfully.

The man's eyes dropped to the ground. A shadow of deep sorrow and uncertainty crossed his face. "I...wouldn't know," he said quietly.

Timothy cocked his head to one side. He almost asked "why?" But right then, he heard the clock strike five-thirty, and all of his errands came back to his mind. Reluctantly, he had to tell his new friend goodbye. Then, still feeling sleepy, he stumbled away to the front door of Arthur's room. Before he slipped out, he heard the man call to him.

"Timothy," he began. The boy looked back. "Most mornings, from seven to ten, I will be in the library. I would always enjoy your company."

Tim gave a big, bright smile. "Would you?" he asked. "Really? Blimey, sir! I fink yer the nicest chap I ever met! Though, Hannover's a right nice bloke too! I feel awful blessed t' know you!"

Arthur couldn't help but smile. And for once, it was a smile which shined with real amusement and joy.

Half an hour later, Timothy found himself in Hannover's office. He had been so weary that he hardly knew how he had managed to get dressed and stumble down to that room. But there he was, and his master's voice had been droning on and on in his ears.

"You will hurry these letters to the post. And I really do mean hurry!" Hannover said, busily preparing his mail. "They contain the most imperative information concerning my other hotel in town, and I want my housekeeper there to receive it early this morning! Do you understand? Timothy? Hullo, Timothy?"

Tim snapped out of a daydream and looked up at the man with sleepy eyes. "Beg pardon?" he asked worriedly.

Hannover raised one eyebrow. "Have you not been listening to a word I say?" he grumbled. "I was lecturing you on the importance of hurrying these letters to the post! What is the matter with you?"