coming home to you

Start from the beginning

"Well thanks for volunteering, Steven," the younger redhead responds playfully. "Glad that you're here. Now let's go. I'm ready to see everyone. The flight felt like it took forever."

Steve rolls his eyes, and he simply grabs the redhead's suitcase from him, starting to walk off. He didn't mind helping out with taking things to his truck. The brunette had missed Ponyboy. Not that he'd admit it out loud, ever. Emotions weren't his thing, and it was sometimes easier to bury it deep inside of him where no one would ever see them.

The younger redhead simply follows, deciding not to fuss over Steve helping. If he was younger, he would have thought Steve was messed up in the head, trying to play some sort of trick on him. Now, he was happy to accept his help and not question it.

They eventually make it to Steve's truck, the redhead hopping into the passenger seat as Steve lifted his luggage into the backseat. The brunette gets in the truck and buckles up, starting the engine. This thing was his baby. He'd bought it back when he graduated and spent plenty of time keeping it in tip top shape.

"How's school been going?" Steve asks. "Straight A's, I assume. You've always been good at that."

Ponyboy giggles.

"For your information... I've got a B in my Literary Theory and Criticism class," the redhead retorts. "Top grade though is my creative writing class that the college offers."

Steve playfully rolls his eyes, starting the drive back to the house he's spent plenty of time in. He had an apartment of his own, away from his dad. But he still slept over from time to time just as everyone else did. It was just rare now for Darry to have so much company.

"Oh wow, a B," Steve responds, lifting a hand off of the wheel to wave it playfully. "Absolutely groundbreaking, world shattering even."

Ponyboy laughs, the kind that tips his head back with the force of it. It was loud and genuine; one Steve didn't hear a lot when they were younger. He certainly never made Ponyboy laugh like that. This time it was him though. The brunette glances at the younger male and he felt his stomach twist at the sight.

Steve looks back at the road though, a grin pulling at the corners of his lips. The brunette was happy for the younger male. Everyone in their friend group knew that he would be the one to go off and do something with his life. Not that any of them weren't capable. Darry could have gone to college and Steve could have too. Out of everyone, they were the most book smart.

"Hardy-har," Ponyboy responded once he had stopped laughing. "I swear you got funnier as I got older. Still a grouch... but being funny helps."

Steve huffs as Ponyboy made that comment, turning his head for a moment to look at him. Although he was quick to look back at the road. Getting into a car accident was the lowest thing on the list of things he needed to happen while bringing Ponyboy home.

"Could say the same about you, shrimpy. Couldn't see past all your annoyingness until you got all mature," Steve responds, a hand moving to punch Ponyboy's shoulder. "Didn't know you had it in you."

Ponyboy rolls his eyes in response.

"Shrimpy? Me? Do I need to remind you that I'm taller than you?"

"By three inches!"

Ponyboy barks out a laugh, shoving Steve's shoulder carefully. He didn't want to cause them to crash. The redhead would feel awful. But he knew that they were just having fun with one another.

The drive continued just like how it had been, teasing one another with their usual back and forth banter. Steve was enjoying every minute of it, the grin on his face proving it, even if he wouldn't vocalize it.

Eventually Steve pulled up to the Curtis house, parking on the side of the road. Ponyboy thought that it had looked the same as it always had. It seemed a little smaller though... Maybe because he was older and bigger than what he once was.

The redhead chews his lower lip as he stares out of the window.

"Ready to head inside?" Steve asks gently, moving a hand to rest on his shoulder. "Everyone is excited to see you again."

Ponyboy smiles softly, relaxing under Steve's touch, as small as it was.

"Yeah, yeah, I'm ready."

----------

Welcome to my steveboy story!

I've been absolutely dying to write one of these. I love this ship and I love Steve, so it only makes sense that I give out some steveboy content! I hope you guys can enjoy this! I love the holiday season and thought steveboy would be perfect for some soft content :)

I started writing this at the beginning of Ocotber and have been waiting ever since to publish this. It's been so hard being patient but it's finally time to let everyone get a look at this! I'm so incredibly excited to finally be able to publish this and have it get the love it deserves!

Also, an absolutely huge dedication to miss @greaserbabes who has helped me so much with this. I've been writing it on a google doc and she's been reading along and helping me with editing if she sees any mess ups as well as just hyping this thing up! An absolute saint right here. Thank you so much, Rae <3