Chapter Twenty-Six

| photo by Daria Gorbach from Unsplash |

The pulsating ellipsis on Samantha's side of the screen has come and gone twice since my last message. I read back over my last paragraph, and I understand my new-slash-old BFF's hesitation. My question—what if Noah hates me—isn't a question she can or should even try to answer. I'm just freaking out because I'm afraid to call him.

My phone vibrates the top of my painted wood desktop—scaring the crap out of me. But then the screen shows me that it's Samantha. Calling me!

I swipe a finger across the screen and say, "You don't have to answer that question."

"No, I want to. I just thought it would be better if we could hear each other's—wait, are you crying?"

"Yes. Sorry. I'm okay. Just a little overwhelmed and...um, what were you going to say about Noah?"

"I don't think it's possible for Dodge to hate you, Ally. But based on his past behavior, I think there's a good chance that if he doesn't already know the unsavory details, then he'll pull away after you tell him. I can't imagine him being able to stay away from you for very long, though. If he feels anything like I do, he's so freaking happy you survived that accident he'll forgive you for anything."

"Okay. But. Can we go back to the unsavory part? I have a question."

"Sure," she says. A little hesitant.

And I feel the same. I don't know how to say what I need to say. "It's about the question you asked Drew."

"I asked a few questions, Ally. Which one are you thinking about?"

"You asked if he and I had um...you know. And Drew made it sound like we'd only ever kissed."

"Okay, got it. What's your question?"

"Did he seem...like...before he answered, did you happen to notice how it seemed like he hesitated? And then, when he actually answered, did you think he was telling the truth?"

Samantha is quiet for a long moment. Then she sighs and says, "Can I be blunt?"

"Yes. Please."

"I get why you think he might be lying, but Ally, I know you pretty well. We've talked about stuff like that in great detail. I don't think you were depressed enough to lose your virginity to a guy like Drew."

"Okay," I say. But I'm not convinced.

"Plus, I don't think Drew is that stupid. He has questionable morals, yes, but the dude's on probation and you're under eighteen. You're a minor and he's not. Drew could go to jail for having sex with you—even if you consented."

He was doing illegal drugs with me while he was on probation, and that can't be smart. So. I'm still not convinced.

"Are you okay, Owl?"

I don't know how I'll ever be okay about this, because I'm never going to know for sure. What if Drew is super smart and he figured out—in a split-second—that he needed to lie to protect himself?

"Hey, do you want me to come over there?" Samantha asks.

"Um, no. Can we just skip to the part where you said if? I'm talking about Noah now. You said 'if he doesn't already know the unsavory details.' Does that mean you think he does?"

"Well, yeah," she says. "I'm pretty sure that's the reason he left Drew's house. That's what Dodge does when he can't deal. Right?"

"Maybe not. He might've left because I asked him to. When we were in the car, I told him it would be easier for me if he wasn't there."