𝐓𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲 𝐒𝐢𝐱; 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐏𝐞𝐫𝐟𝐞𝐜𝐭 𝐎𝐧𝐞

June 25th, 1885

June 25th, 1885

♥♥♥

After the recent events of waltzing the night away and stargazing, Enola and Tewkesbury would soon find that their current situation, walking back to Basilwether, was pale compared to staying out longer.

The two stepped into the outside proximity of the ballroom, the sound of the muffled music growing louder as they approached. They stopped in front of the door leading inside. Enola locked hands with Tewkesbury.

"People will see," he whispered, remembering what she had told him. She whispered back, "Let them watch. You've taught me how to dance."

Tewkesbury cracked a smile. Hearing those words, he couldn't argue, "So dance we shall."

This was the peak of happiness the two would share that night, for unbeknownst to them, things from this point on were about to get much, much worse.

♥♥♥

Their hands separated the very second they stepped not ten feet back into that ballroom. Caroline was rushing towards them. She'd come to take Tewkesbury away to meet some of her aristocratic friends. But this, this was only the beginning. You've been warned.

Luckily, Caroline didn't seem to suspect anything between them and quickly dragged Tewkesbury away. The boy glanced back at Enola with the funniest look of annoyance. Enola only shrugged, making Tewkesbury smile, the look on his face now saying something along the lines of "I'll be back shortly, don't forget."

Enola sighed. Alone once more. Thankfully, she wasn't alone for too long because Enola's eyes suddenly made out a pink embroidered fan. The fan closed and there appeared a face.

Enola forced a smile, "Hello, Elise."

"Evening!" Elise answered with song in her voice.

"What have you been up to?" Enola asked, trying to make this conversation not so awkward. She wasn't going to run away anymore.

"Nothing, really. What have you been up to on this fine night?" she asked. Her words were spoken in a shrilly type of way, similar to how a friend may ask another about knowing something secret.

"Not much."

"Not much, you say," Elise held the fan in her right hand, "Well, what were you doing speaking with a certain boy earlier?"

"A certain boy?" Enola tried to play dumb. That wasn't easy when you were intelligent.

"Yes indeed!" Elise giggled, drawing her fan across her forehead, "His name starts with...T?"