𝐒𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐧; 𝐌𝐢𝐝𝐧𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭 𝐆𝐨𝐬𝐬𝐢𝐩

June 10th, 1885

June 10th, 1885

♥♥♥

Enola decided to remain at Ferndell that night. Being back felt right, for she had missed her home and Ms. Lane dearly. Besides, she was in no hurry to see a certain someone anytime soon.

Dressed for bed, Enola was lying beneath her blankets, staring up at the flower-painted ceiling, reviewing thoughts of the day. Suddenly, there was a knock on her door. It was Ms. Lane, holding a suitcase in her hand.

"Ms. Lane," Enola sat up, "You don't normally intrude on me at night."

"Well, I thought we may get packing in the morning," she answered softly," I brought this extra case if you wanted to take anything else back to London when you go—I hope I'm not disturbing you."

"Oh, no. Never."

"Florence and Sherlock left for London bout an hour ago. Did you not want to come downstairs and say goodbye?" the old woman rested on the edge of Enola's bed.

"Sherlock and I aren't on good terms right now, so I think it is best to stay away."

"What about Florence? She appears friendly."

" I suppose. It isn't easy to imagine Sherlock with another. I always imagined he'd become a bachelor with his career and demanding life..."

Enola recalled her reaction after Sherlock told her the news. A simple oh was all that exited her mouth. For the rest of the gathering, she sat silent. She was sure Mycroft was pleased about that.

During this gathering, she learned that Sherlock and Florence had been courting for half a year and desired to keep their relationship confidential. It turns out that even Mycroft and Ms. Lane had known of this correspondence. This angered Enola. Her family still thought of her as a child, not mature enough to keep the secret. Well, the joke was on them; Enola could keep a secret. Why, she was even keeping one too. Her very own relationship.

"I admit I did too," Ms. Lane chuckled, "Sherlock did mention briefly about the cases in the city. I admire your confidence, Nola. You're a brilliant girl."

"I do not feel brilliant. I still haven't found one clue, and time is running out."

"I have every confidence. You aren't not giving yourself enough credit. You are one of the most extraordinary people I've ever met. All you need is one push, one tiny something that will thrust you forward. The answers are so close. I can feel it."

Enola was always comforted by Ms. Lane's words as a child and even now. There wasn't an inch of evil in the woman's body.

"I wish I had known someone like you when I was small. My head was filled to the brim with new thoughts and possibilities but alas...I never felt I could express them because of society in my younger years," Ms. Lane reminisced. "Now, seeing my dreams come true through you is remarkable."