Skating Through Reseda

Start from the beginning

You let your thoughts wander as you passed by more and more buildings. You saw a bakery, a small market, a bank, a karate dojo, and a restaurant. You stopped paying attention after that.

The truth was, you weren't sure if this place would ever feel like home. You were born here in Reseda, but you moved out of state before you even learned how to walk. From there it was all along the East Coast, moving around most of your life. You had been living in Maryland for two years when your father passed away.

Mom had no way of affording the house after loads of funeral expenses. She even picked up an additional job, but it still wasn't enough. You were too young to work at the time, but you offered to walk the neighbor's dogs and clean up trash around town for a small wad of cash.

It wasn't until Aunt Yelena reached out that life started to get somewhat back on track. While the two of you grieved, she offered to take care of the bills and keep you both steady. A few months later, one of mom's jobs shut down and her income declined drastically. She had always worried about having to move so soon after your father's death, but there was no other choice.

Aunt Yelena had lived in Greece for as long as you could remember. You would visit during the summer for many years and adored the way it made you feel. So when she called mom and offered to let the two of you move in with her, you just couldn't believe how lucky you felt in that moment. It was the happiest you had felt since your father passed.

Seven years later, and you still considered Greece your home. You wished to stay forever, but unfortunately there was family business to attend to.

Literally.

Your grandfather was a very old man and he went very peacefully when his time came. As much as it hurt to let him go, you knew he was dancing in the sky with your dad. Father and son reunited in the clouds for all eternity.

Your father's love of music certainly came from Grandpa. He owned his own record shop here in Reseda for over half his life. Grandpa had given the business to your father in his will. Unfortunately, since your father passed away first, you and your mother were the next on the list.

So mother threw away both of your lives in Greece and here you are now in Reseda, California.

You would've enjoyed the honor a lot more if the store was given to your family directly. Originally, the shop was going to be given to your grandpa's first born, your father's older brother. Unfortunately, you didn't know your uncle, you weren't allowed to know him. You didn't even know his name. You were always told he cut himself off from the family due to a family conflict, but you knew there was something more. Mom always said your uncle was a very bad man.

You considered him a coward.

The only information you have on your uncle is that he lives in Encino. You chuckled softly to yourself at how silly this all was. You had to throw away your life in Greece and move across the world, when your coward uncle lives three miles away from the shop.

Of course you loved records and the idea of carrying on your grandfather and father's legacy, but Greece was home to you. It hurt to leave the place that made you the happiest.

You're doing this for Dad and Grandpa. This place could grow on you if you just gave it a chance.

Mom parked the car and the two of you stepped out, one more confidently then the other. She immediately walked around the back of the car and began to grab the last few remaining boxes.

"I'll tell you what," she laughed, "I'm glad you wanted to see the town, but maybe you could've done that after we finished unpacking."

"I know mom, but when I unpacked my skates I couldn't help myself."

She laughed and began to mumble under her breath. "You really are your father's daughter."

She handed you a box as she unlocked the door. Kicking it open, she strutted toward the kitchen, already making herself at home. She dropped the box on the counter and wiped the sweat from her brow. "You're lucky I know this town or else you could've gotten lost."

You laughed and hit her playfully, "I would've been fine, ma."

"I know you would've, doll." Her thoughts drifted, a smile forming on her face, "hey just a question, what song were you skating to?"

You blushed, already expecting her reaction to your response. "Edge of Seventeen..." you mumbled.

"Oh! My favorite!" She clasped her hands together in excitement. "You know your father and I-"

"Loved Fleetwood Mac so much that they played at your vow renewals. I remembered."

If you looked close enough, you could see a tear forming in mom's eye. "He would've loved Edge of Seventeen."

"He would've..." you began, "but since he's not here to listen to it, then maybe that means he's our white winged dove."

You smiled softly as your mother looked at you with proud eyes. And in the midst of that reminiscent moment, you remembered that Grandpa's record shop was where they first met.

Alright... maybe I will give this place a chance.