𝐧𝐢𝐧𝐞!

Start from the beginning

"shut the hell up," dream said, looking away. "i asked her opinions about sports."

george's jaw dropped. "you asked her about SPORTS?"

"IN MY DEFENSE—" dream yelled back, "IN MY DEFENSE— SHE LIKES BASEBALL."

"WHY WOULD YOU ASK HER ABOUT SPORTS?"

"I WAS AT A FUCKING BASKETBALL GAME, GEORGE!"

"I DON'T CARE THAT IT WAS ABOUT SPORTS, BUT WHY IS THAT THE FIRST TEXT OF THE DAY?" he laughed at dream. "you had nothing better to do? no funny pick up lines for her?"

"i wouldn't use pick up lines on her—"

"you're constantly asking us how to flirt with her, so i'd assume you'd need ideas—"

"i'm not flirting," dream snapped at the same time sapnap said: "jealous, george?"

"shut up," george muttered. he took a long swig of water, dream cringing at the loud wet noises. "sapnap, tell us about the hot girl you met."

"well," he began slowly, the smile evident in his voice, "see, that's the problem."

"what?" dream and george questioned at the same time. dream added, "just cut to the chase, idiot."

"so i asked for this girl's number right?" sapnap dove into the story. dream rolled his eyes. "she actually gives it, mind you—"

"bullllllshit!" george woo-ed.

"let me EXPLAIN!" sapnap yelled. "she reads her number off and i'm typing it into my message bar so i can text her and make sure she got it..."

dream waited for him to continue, but when he didn't, dream rolled his eyes and prodded, "and?"

"and a contact name already popped up."

at first, dream didn't get it. "what?"

but george understood immediately. "no," he breathed, eyes going wide in the little camera on dream's scream. "you're joking."

"nope," sapnap said proudly.

"what?" dream repeated, leaning closer to the screen as if the little minecraft world held all of the answers.

george snickered. "dream, you idiot, if sapnap already had this girl's number—and he was talking about your number girl earlier—then—"

dream's heart dropped to his stomach. "holy shit," he breathed. "sap— do you— did she— did you ask for her name? did you get her name?"

"i know her name," he giggled, his minecraft character running over and hitting dream's. but dream just stared at his monitor, lips parted, barely registering a thought that flew through his brain.

of course revealing his identity to her was nerve wracking and impossible — it just couldn't happen. but the fact that he was finally talking to someone new, finally being able to be normal for once, was relieving. he liked his number girl—as a friend of course—and embraced everything they talked about. but because he was so dead-set on not out-right revealing his identity to her...was she the same way? did she like the anomity too?

"aren't you going to ask me what her name is?" sapnap drawled, leaning back in his seat with a smug grin on his face.

clay clenched his jaw, pressing on the keyboard hard as he tried to shove down the urge to know her name. "no," he said simply. george began sputtering, eyes wide in disbelief.

"no, no," sapnap said, waving his hand, still smirking. "it's alright george. dream will come around. fifty subs says he asks about it two days from now."

george shorted. "no shot. he'll ask about it tomorrow if you tease him just enough."

dream rolled his eyes, glancing down at his phone as it lit up. but it was just one of his friends—not number girl. "was it a flower name?" he muttered reluctantly. "did she lie?"

"nah, it was a flower name." sap giggled. "you've even said it before, when you were going through your lists."

his back tightened. he'd said her name without realizing it—it had been under his nose and he'd skimmed over it. what if it was a name he discarded quickly? like, carnation. the nickname "rye" could maybe fit into it, right?

"we've lost him!" george wailed. "sapnap, we've lost dream to a woman! he probably texts her more than he does us!"

sapnap snickered. "well, duh, george. why did you think he always takes so long to respond to our messages?"

george laughed as dream rolled his eyes. "i dunno, i guess i just thought that he was doing something scandalous."

"wouldn't you like to know," dream drawled. "you guys are idiots."

"sapnap, send me her name," george pleaded.

"i will, i will."

dream sank his teeth in his lower lip, irritated. he heard george go "awww, wait, that's so pretty."

"you guys are just saying that," dream muttered.

"whatever," sapnap sighed. "by the way, rowan is as scary as she said he was."

dream's eyes widened. "you met rowan?"

"not really." sapnap chuckled sheepishly. "her name came up in my phone so just to make sure it was her, i asked him what his name was.  he, like, barely even spared me a glance. rye introduced me to him."

"does she know who you are?" george asked.

"i don't think so. she's only heard my voice once anyways." he burped. "dream, i think she'll be at more of the basketball games. maia said that rowan's brother plays, so..." dream could practically hear the smile in sapnap's voice.

"shut up," he muttered. "let's play bedwars. i want to stream."

"whoa, whoa, whoa," sapnap said, "let's not stream it if you're gonna play bedwars with number girl."

"sapnap, shut up."

"come over here and make me," he teased. george whistled. dream rolled his eyes.

"you guys are idiots." but his cheeks were pink, and he couldn't help but glance down at his phone, hoping she'd send a text.