9. Worth Being Forward With

Start from the beginning

Am I hallucinating too?

I approach the very handsome man nervously and try to stave off a yawn, "What are you doing here?"

Domenico tilts his head as he inspects my face. He holds my chin and directs me to look up at him. I tuck my hands into my pockets.

"When was the last time you slept?" His voice is soft as he speaks. How considerate of him. If anything, it makes me want to just fall asleep against his chest.

Ever since last week where we had our very intriguing conversation, this man has been a constant on my mind. But that doesn't mean that I'm not still cautious around him.

For one, he seems too good to be true. I mean, who sees a girl at a restaurant and all of a sudden, catches interest in her?

Well, I saw a guy in a restaurant and caught interest in him, so I can't really say much.

"Uh," Flicking my arm up, I blink at my watch, "What day is it?"

"Friday."

"Then Wednesday."

He arches a surprised brow and moves his hand from my chin to my neck and the back of my head, his fingers massaging the nape and my eyes flutter closed in an odd form of pleasure.

"You need to sleep, principessa. Una donna priva di sonno raramente riesce a fare le close. (A sleep deprived woman rarely gets things done.)" While I have no clue what he said, it sounded wise. "Take a break with me."

I pout as I look up at him, "I wish I could, but my patients -"

"Take a break with me, Farrah." His tone of finality leaves no room for excuses. And, honestly, I don't have to energy to try another one.

I poke my finger against his chest, "Five minutes."

He nods and surprises me with a light kiss to my forehead. My knees go weak and my belly turns in a nerve-wracking way. I've never been kissed as delicately as he just did.

And it wasn't even on the lips. Maybe I'm getting ahead of myself.

With that, he leads me outside where a sleek, black Range Rover sits perfect toward the back of the parking lot. The chilly Chicago breeze ruffles the decorative trees and bushes outside, along with giving me goosebumps. Domenico doesn't wait a second to remove his blazer and throw it over my shoulders before wrapping himself around me.

My head falls to his chest as we walk to the passenger seat. He opens the door, helps me inside, then makes the way to his side. With the sweet feeling of being off my feet, I release a heavy sigh of relief.

As he starts the car, I analyze the new space. I've never been in a Range Rover - only saved pictures of it to my 'What I Wish My Life Could Be' pinterest board, so this is a pretty new experience.

Something about it is so sexy.

The car. Him. His scent. The way he commandeered the situation and brought me outside. The way he cares if I've gotten enough sleep. The way he came all this way from wherever he was.

The interior warms up and I shove my hands in the vent, craving warmth.

"You didn't answer my question." I trail off, tone joking as I shift so the blazer stays on my shoulders.

He keeps the car in park and just leans back in his seat, parting his legs slightly, "And which question is that, dolcezza?"

I shrug nonchalantly, "What are you doing here? I'm sure you have better things to do than make sure a grown woman sleeps."

Domenico chuckles as he runs his eyes lazily over my body. He licks his bottom lip, "Am I not allowed to want to see your beautiful face, Farrah?"

My cheeks heat up and I look away, avoiding his gaze, "You are a very forward man. You like this with all the ladies?"

"There aren't any worth being forward with." His words make the breath hitch in my throat, "So no. Just with you."

I purse my lips and move my fingers from the vent as it gets warmer. "How was your day today?" I ask in an attempt to change the subject.

He tilts his head and huffs in amusement, "Better now. You?"

My mouth twists as I think back to all the young lives that were lost in the past couple of days, "We lost six kids these past two days." His expression remains the same as he scans my face, "Which is more than we've lost in two months and I don't know... I can't help but think that if they weren't orphans - if they had people looking out for them, it would be a different result." As I ramble, I come to realize that I probably shouldn't divulge this much information.

I barely know this man past what he's made me feel in an erotic sense, yet I'm talking about something that changed the mood between us faster than I could blink.

"I'm sorry." I say as an attempt to backtrack. "That's a heavy topic."

He shakes his head, "Don't apologize, Farrah. I like hearing what you think. And I agree." I stare at him as he continues, "There's a stigma in the system. A stigma that is fatal to young kids without support, people to fight for them and their livelihoods. Too many kids have lost their lives spiritually before physically and you can't help but think it's connected sometimes." As he stares out into nothing, a frown grows on my face. He said everything on my mind and more.

"I, uh," I clear my throat, "I always wanted to be a pediatric nurse because of how much I love kids, but since working in a hospital, I feel like I'm surrounded by death in moments like this... this tragedy."

Domenico squints as he transfers his gaze to the floor of the car, "You're doing the best you can, dolcezza. Whenever you feel surrounded by death, just think of all the life around you. Don't let it destroy your spirit."

ughhhhh, intellectual conversations >>>>