"You're becoming quite the heiress. And what about your step-mother? Your step-siblings?"
"It isn't easy, but we aren't assassinating ourselves yet over the Matthews Fortune," she jokes.

"But Ola, I want you to be careful."

"Saheed, my father is all I've got left and if he wants me there, I will show up. I know it sounds selfish, given the circumstances of my...existence...but he's the only biological family I've got left. He has his own skoin-skoin, but...don't they all?"

"Tell me about it," I respond with a small laugh. "My Baba has his good days."

"You seem to be fond of him these days."

"Because I mentioned him?"

"The both of you have bonded over your sister's emergency."

"I suppose we...hashed a few things out."

"And I'm happy for the both of you."

"It's still a work in progress."

Ola laughs. "Same here."

"But we love them, they love us. That's most important."

"Yes, it is."

A short silence follows, and, unable to hold it in I ask, "Ola, have you forgotten my request?"

"Dinner? No, I haven't."

"Okay."

"Okay."

I almost ask, 'Well?' but I hold myself. I understand that she is making me expectant, taking her time. The hairs on the back of my neck stand when I hear a male voice in the background.

"Hey, I have to run now. We could catch up later?"

"Sure," I reply, not quite liking the feeling of being kept aside for someone else.

"Bye."

"Bye."

I dial up Amina immediately.

"I know it's woman matter that you're calling me up for," sha says wryly before I can even say hello.

"She hasn't responded to my invitation to dinner, what am I doing wrong, Amina?"

"Are you sending her gifts? Remember, she's still wary of risking it all for you."

"Gifts?"

"You know, Saheed, I remember you buying loads of gifts for the past women you have wooed, wined, dined and bedded, but you don't know what to do for the one person you've fallen for. It's the irony for me."

"I don't know what she wants, she doesn't give much clues, she is fiercely independent, and Amina, that woman can be obstinate."

"Sounds like a perfect match to me."

"But I refuse to give up."

"That's the spirit, we Bellos aren't quitters."

I sigh and pinch the bridge of my nose. What if Ola has given up on me and just wants to catch cruise? Or keep it sexual, no strings attached? Or platonic?

"Surprise her."

"How?"

"Omo no dey ask me all these kind things. Use your head, take the lead. Show interest, call her to know how her day went, send her memes, send gifts, and at the same time give her space."

"That is the most conflicting advice I have ever heard."

"Like I said, use your head. From what you've learned about Ola, what have you done in the past to make her smile, to make her happy? Can't relate though, I have gotten husband."