13- Before You Wake Up

Songs: Lips On You by Maroon 5; I Feel It Coming by The Weeknd; Before You Wake Up by Adekunle Gold.

Saheed:

A beeping sound pulls me from the silent comfort of sleep. I open my eyes slowly, reaching out for the source of disturbance coming from the bedside table. It happens to be Ola's small digital clock. I dismiss the alarm with the push of a button and lie still, taking in my surroundings in the dimly lit room.

Beside me, Ola is fast asleep, partially covered underneath the sheets...wearing nothing. Her skin against mine is enough evidence; I don't feel the texture of any textile between us.

I blink rapidly as memories from last night surface to the forefront of my mind: how our clothes had been torn off our bodies, how we had moved from the door to the living room and finally, to her bedroom. Hands and lips exploring, names moaned and whispered amongst other words that would make a nun blush. The way my hands had slightly shaken when I'd handed her the condom because I had almost been overwhelmed. How she had felt, clinging to me like her life had depended on it...

I stare at her, lying on her side and facing me. Breathing slowly. Her face is relaxed, lips slightly parted, a hand tucked underneath her cheek. Her leg is entwined between mine. Sometime during the night, she had sought my warmth against the cold of the air conditioner and I had held her in my arms. Somehow, her hair had come loose and the messy curls are scattered around her head.

Last night, we had both been on an emotional high. With all the irritation and anger fueling the sexual tension between us... Goodness, I thought I had grown past this. Hadn't I sworn to never let sex get in the way of my emotions and vice versa? The last time this happened, I had ended up disgusted with myself. I had become a fool, blinded by the need to possess and dominate.

Some things never change, I think savagely.

Quietly, I extract myself from the bed. On my feet, I observe that we had made quite a mess with our clothes last night. I find my inner vest and briefs at opposite ends of the room and don them before leaving for the kitchen. My stomach is grumbling and a continental breakfast from one of the numerous online kitchens sounds like a good idea. It takes me a few minutes to discover my phone on the floor, right at the front door.

What were you thinking, Saheed? Oh, wait. You weren't.

What was that online vendor that Amina had recommended a few months ago...? Ah, yes. 

"Instant Breakfast?" I ask as soon as the receiver picks at the third ring.

"Correct, sir. Good morning."

I order for a full tray of food. "Bacon, waffles, omelets, sausages. Strawberries, bananas, a carton of orange juice."

"Your address, sir?"

I recite Ola's address, including her flat number.

"Your order will be there in twenty minutes. Thank you for choosing Instant Breakfast."

"One more thing," I add.

"Yes, sir?"

"Please, I'll be needing a toothbrush. Stop by at any store on your way for one. I'll pay extra for the trouble. Thank you."

I end the call, not giving the attendant a chance to say anything else. While waiting for our meal, I move around the house, searching for my missing clothes and shoes. Successfully, I gather them in one heap before getting dressed as best as I can. They are now rumpled, but I'm better off in them. It baffles me how I'm concerned about what Ola will think of when she sees me. I also gather her clothes, neatly folding them and placing them on the chair in her room. I can smell her on me, her perfume and her scent. The discovery makes me smile.