"Yup don't know these cracks either."

Along your aimless journey, a bench came into view. There it was; civilization. More accurately a child; if you had any luck they'd come equipped with directions.

"Hey, do you know where we are?"

Stopping in front of the bench you looked towards the kid, who seemed way too young to be out at this hour but hey, who were you to judge.

"No."

"Oh, cool me neither."

Changing your tactic from wandering to waiting you took a seat next to the small stranger. Stuffing your hands into your pockets in an attempt to secure any decimal of warmth you continued chatting with the boy, who didn't look thrilled with you being there.

"So where's your mom?"

"I'm not supposed to talk to you."

The boy uttered, his gaze solely fixed on the street.

"Why not? Do ya know me or somethin'?"

"No— I'm not supposed to talk to strangers."

"I see well that sucks— and must be lonely as hell."

You laughed, encountering a concept that seemed odd to you.

"You're not supposed to say words like that around kids."

Make that a second concept.

"Geez, why so many rules?"

"Mom said."

"So your mom's the strict one? That must make your pops the fun one right?"

"No, he sucks."

His blunt response gained yet another laugh from you.

"Sorry, sorry, then that means you're the fun one."

There was a lull in the conversation, as you both sat.

"How did you get here?"

"Hmm well, I got this awesome money-making idea, but I got too excited and tried going home... I really have no sense of direction so I somehow ended up here. Okay, now it's your turn."

A familiar silence rented the air as this kid couldn't seem to make up his mind if he wanted to talk or not.

"I ran away."

"Got it so then that means—

you're homeless?"

"No, I want to go home so... if I stay here mom will find me."

The wind once again blew an undesired breeze as if screaming: winter is near. The boy slouched as he crossed his arms, burrowing his hands beneath either side; otherwise known as the 'I'm seriously freezing my ass off here' position.

"Ya cold?"

"No."

His face bore discomfort, displeasure, etc; don't play poker kid. Questioning your sanity you pulled off your jacket, the frigid air immediately mocked your sympathy as you tossed your jacket at the moderately-attired child.

"Yeah, I'm actually getting kinda hot."

I spy another bad liar.

Responding with silence he shoved his arms into the sleeves appearing anything but delighted, regardless he spoke up once more.

"What about your mom, is she going to find you?"

"Mmm probably not, but I have the best roommate so he'll find me eventually."